UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Something better than the Academy Day???

Old 01-10-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonky
Old 01-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Thanks to Sarah, Matt and Mark. You are all correct about the Don day and I have been to his website (thanks for the link) and will indulge myself for the day with him in April. I think it will be a good day to get to grips with the new car and its changes too. Expensive yes but everyone raves about the day so I must try it in person. At the end of the day he will teach what I want to get out of the day and some fun towards the end too.

Tonky you are also correct about track days and on road driving. I love driving my car fast on country roads. It is exciting and fun and my wife hates me for it therefore I get to go out by myself for 3 hours on the weekend which is no bad thing to be honest. I do not drive dangerously or like a pimple bursting teenager. Those were the day eh? No, I am older and wiser and I never did drive aggressively like kids today. I made mistakes then and do today but the ones I made 10-14 years ago were stupid mistakes because of lack of experience not stupidity. I don't put others in danger and nor myself. It is a fun drive and I don't want it to turn into an accident or fatality for that matter. For instance I only overtake when sensible because at the end of the day I have nowhere to go and am only out driving the country roads. I don't annoy anyone nor get road rage not even with a' holes who just don't want you to overtake them even if they are doing 40 in a 60. I never flash my lights or respond to flashing lights or the finger salute.

Getting back to the point however I have to agree somewhat and disagree to an extent that the two driving styles, track and on the road, are very different. Cornering is obviously not the same as a track, you can't for instance use both lanes on the road for the best apex line. But sometime it is great to be able to do so depending on the bend and how far ahead you can see. More importantly it is about how you sense traction leaving the tyres and what you would do to correct that. I don't wish to do a trial and error on the road so the track is the best place for it. You then can make sure you don't push it that hard on the road but should you be in a situation where you loose traction then you would know what to do. There are other examples of this but don't want to bore everyone but for arguments sake let take ABS. Perfect to practice on track so you know how to best operate it on the road.

So all in all most people are right. I agree with all of you and still want to be able to take the car on a track day for fun, which I have done a few times and love every minute of it and I also would like driving tuition for advanced handling. I would also love to be able to get hold of an airfield for half a day or a full day just to push the car to its limits. Over and over again now that would be fun. Making a mistake and trying again to avoid it would teach everyone more than anything else out there assuming you have the knowledge why it the car is behaving in that fashion. I don't however think there is any place like it where I could go in the UK. Am I wrong? Would also like to have a skid pan and track to play on. Anyone know of one?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:08 AM

Sorry, this is going to sound preachy but it's not meant to, and I don't mean any offence by it....
Rahul, you're probably going to disagree with me when i say this, but maybe the reason you got little from the Academy day is because you weren't really listening to them? Maybe you saw what you had to do and immediately thought 'easy, I can do that no problem', instead of listening to the instructor and what he was trying to teach you about aspects of the car's handling.
I have probably had as much track time as anyone here thanks to my racing, I've driven all sorts of cars on the track but I can honestly say I learned a few things about the handling of the S2000 on the Academy days I've been to.
As Mark says, for
Old 01-11-2004, 02:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also consider a 1st Lotus day which I have posted about before I went on holiday (most recently on Pink Lady and Jenny's thread) - a similar price to the Academy Day and more intensivie tuition. http://www.1stlotus.com/