UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Someone hit my S no idea who

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hit my S no idea who

Hi folks,

Returned to my S today to find someone seems to have reversed into the back of it [at speed I guess] and not left any contact details <sigh>.

Damage is quite bad but also quite localised it seems, rear passenger wing, bumper, petrol cap vicinity damage, dents and scrapes.

There is some metal sticking out from behind the bumper into the wheel arch area.

Reported it to the police and have a crime number, although not much they can do to work out who it was to be fair.

Claims line isn't open until tomorrow, any advice people can give on questions I should ask them etc to try and get ensure my S gets fixed properly would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Get as many pics as possible.

Wherever it is parked ask for CCTV footage.

Your premium will skyrocket.

But lesson is Protect your premiums as much as you can

As careful a driver as you may be.

99.9% of the people out there are evil gits. Who will rips you off whenever they can

You only hope that if someone does ding you - they are honest enough to fess up and take the pain out of it for you.

Sadly... there are not too many of these types about.

Sometimes - I bloody hate Great Britain Ltd.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, these people should be shot.

There was a case on here where similar happened and the owner was able to get CCTV footage and find the perp.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM

I'm seriously considering spending a couple of
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is still in the garage.
A month ago got hit in the OSR and the Evo took off.

Untouchable and uninsured Bristolian drug dealer apparently.

Police dont give a sh*t.

Usual.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 AM
TRW

Unlucky.

I had the same thing a while back, I put a poster up next to where the car was hit asking for information and to my suprise I actually got a call from someone who had seen a Hotpoint van reverse into my car.

Managed to get the reg number from the delivery note after going door to door and then chased them down from there.

Driver admitted responsibility once I threatened the company with legal action.

Got it paid out, but I was extremely lucky. Hope you have the same finding who did yours.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM
TRW

Oh - I should add - I involved the Police who were interested because the driver left the scene of an accident.

Once I had tracked down the driver I passed them the information and they refused to take action as the insurace had paid out.

So it seems the moral of the story from the police is that if you commit a crime as long as the insurance pays out then its ok.

Useless!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Yup, had an extensive chat with a PC who was 20 years in the farce.
He told me in no uncertain terms I was wasting my time.
When asked why they thought visiting the owner four weeks later was going to turn up any evidence he simply amswered the usual 'resource' and 'priorities'.
I guess we can hope they mow over some kids at a bus stop next then, that way they might pay attention.

Still 'tossers', however you want to para phrase it.

blakpawn - That amount of work will run to about
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks, I am trying to track down some cctv footage from a camera nearby although I'm not sure its field of vision will be wide enough.

Cant really complain about plod in this case, pretty much no evidence to trace, just hope the insurance company plays fair.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with regard to catching people who drive uninsured cars 99% of police officers go out of their way to try and get them .... the problem is - depending on the force involved - that the officers are held by certain parts very tightly with their hands tied too !! Other things need to be done and 'response' team officers are rushed off their feet most of the time ....

It is not something I can go into on here - I would get disciplined for commenting on a public forum .... or at least my reply would almost certainly mean I would get into trouble

What I can say is that the problem is usually proving who was driving - and that is more a fault of our laws than the individual officers.

A common reply is that officers themselves must change it - and there is an easy answer to explain why they can't .... but I can't go into that here either ... as my reply would - probably - get me discliplined

Quick Reply: Someone hit my S no idea who