UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Someone did a hit and run on my S2000 :(

Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Dave - the door & hinges have moved and the rest is largely cosmetic.

Hit it with some tar remover and you'd be surprised how much better it will look.

Best of luck getting it sorted.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Ahhh man, I am really sorry to see this.
Really breaks my heart to see your s2000 in that state.
There really is some low life scum out there.

I do reckon it must have been some joy riders losing control or drunk driver.
I have never seen a door peel back like that before.

I would cost up the repairs yourself to see how much it will set you back to get it all fixed including the body shop quote.
That would give you a total cost of the outlay you need to fork out yourself.
If there is no way you can afford it then I would go through the insurance.

If you have no intention of going through the insurance then I would not report it to them.
A colleague at work had a similar situation and didnt want to go through the insurance after he crashed his car. (his fault)
He reported it and said he didn't want to claim and will fix the car himself. He thought that was the end of that. Come renewal time it stated that he made a claim and his premium went up.
These insurance companies will try everything and anything to swindle you out of your hard earned cash.

When a car is damaged after a crash, sometimes it never is the same again.
The key here is to take the car to a reputable garage who is passionate at repairing and restoring cars and not a back street quick sprayer.

You may find after it has been repaired you could get all sorts of water leaks due to the misalignment of panels etc.
That in itself would be a nitemare.

However sentimental value is priceless to the individual, so only you can decide if it is worth to repair.

Thankfully, the s2000 isnt as rare as other Honda's (i.e EG civic vti) and there are many around for sale and prices seemed to have stabilised now.
If it was me, I would cut my losses and get an insurance payout and perhaps upgrade to a face lift model.

My brother went through a similar ordeal with his b16a converted 1994 honda civic coupe. Someone hit the front end.
He had special modified insurance from sky and they paid him out to get it repaired with a garage of his choice. (it was a quite a battle on his part to get the money)
He had to source new wings, bonnet, front bumper and it also required a front sub frame which with a miracle he found a genuine Honda sub frame from a guy breaking a civic eg hatch.
Its back on the road now and looking fresher than ever - its sentimental to him as we both did the b16 engine conversion together back in 2008 and hes had the car for 12 years to this day.
So there is hope.
My brother had his repairs done by this place, craftsman ship was excellent. He's not cheap but they are really good.
https://www.bowron-motorcare.co.uk/
I've used them many times on my previous 1999 prelude vti and will also be using them to repair the s2000 arch issues too maybe next year.

Stick the space saver on the car so it is driveable for now, and check water isn't leaking in from the rain we are currently getting.

I wish you luck in what ever you decide.
Stay positive
Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Interesting to hear the recommendation for Bowron. They did a pretty poor job on my old car (rusty arches/sill and respray) they just used a load of filler and the rust was back in under a year.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Interesting to hear the recommendation for Bowron. They did a pretty poor job on my old car (rusty arches/sill and respray) they just used a load of filler and the rust was back in under a year.
That is very interesting indeed.
He has never done any rust repair or any sill stuff for me and the work Ive given him has only been respray and blending work.

I am really shocked he just used filler, any body work guy knows that the rust needs to be cut out to stop it spreading again.
Certainly an eye opener.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:07 AM

Were there any updates to this @gully
Did you fix her up in the end?