UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Some ICE questions ...

Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen the DAB tuner separates ... I was thinking about something like a Woodstock DAB 53 HU. DAB/FM and single CD/MP3 playback.

As far as MP3 playback is concerned, its no so much the facility to play MP3 files from CD that I'm after, its the ability to load them up from an MMC card or Sony Memory stick. For example, I have a 256Mb MMC card in my mobile (they go bigger) and it would be convenient to just snap one of those into the head unit. Probably would dispense with CD playback overnight.
[My lawyer advises me to point out that all my tracks were legally downloaded!]

Thanks for your help (particularly re the interface gizmo) and I'll continue to trawl the forums and the manufacturers' websites for possibilities.

Shiskine
Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM

Just took another look at the Blaupunkt range of Woodstock DAB head units. All have single CD playback but they also all accept MMC or SD cards. MP3 tracks can be stored in up to 20 directories per card, so with a 512Mb card and say 4Mb average per track, that's over 120 tracks on one card. Should be enough for most people. Apparently, the cards go in a slot just below the CD. How many storage cards do you reckon I could stash in the cubbyhole between the seats?

With the technology being solid state, there should be no jumping or skipping either.

From the websites I was looking at (http://www.bluespot.co.uk was one), prices start at around
Old 09-01-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Mossinez,Sep 1 2004, 04:27 AM] Shiskine,

Note that the Alpine HU's although DAB 'ready' require an additional DAB receiver from Alpine (TUA-T100DAB) to pick up the digital signal. Last time I looked for one of these it was something like
Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 PM

Unfortunately the KCE-865B is just for the Alpine's but have a look at:

This post
which talks about the Sony DCI options - there are a number of UK owners that have gone this way.

There's also a bunch of stuff kicking around the Electronics forum on this same topic - I think Modifry posted some stuff about a generic DCI, but whether you can get them shipped I'm not sure.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mossinez,Sep 1 2004, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately the KCE-865B is just for the Alpine's but have a look at:

This post
which talks about the Sony DCI options - there are a number of UK owners that have gone this way.

There's also a bunch of stuff kicking around the Electronics forum on this same topic - I think Modifry posted some stuff about a generic DCI, but whether you can get them shipped I'm not sure.
Many thanks, i'll take alook.....
Old 09-01-2004, 01:19 PM

Sliksts2000,

Just to let you know, I have an Alpine dash adaptor that I have taken out of my S that I have just sold. It only had 6 months use, and is yours for
Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 AM
Xd

I have the Woodstock DAB 52 installed, it comes with a separate ariel for DAB so you end up with two ariels. I leave it sniffing around the back where the folding roof goes. I have bought an FM/DAB ariel but found you don't really need the FM after listening to DAB, its like going back to longwave. There is no adapter for the built in controls but some have installed the separate remote control, to be honest though I haven't missed the original Honda remote and for
Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 AM

My reply to Ross Gardiner from Alpine followed by his ...

<My message reads>

Ross

Thanks for the prompt response. I assume that, from your point of view, DAB will return in due course once coverage improves. As for solid state media readers, I would have thought there must be a market given the way the sale of MP3 players has taken off. It would be very convenient to simply take the card from the player and slam it into the head unit.

Perhaps I'll hold off for now ...

<Ross' message reads>

Yeah the solid state stuff's pretty cool, i think at the moment the popular media is CDR's and DVDR's. im sure Japan have card slots in there headunits and navi system but unfortunately were 5 years behind with the technology.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:02 AM

Oops ... I posted my orginal message to Alpine on a different thread. For those of you that are wondering what that last post was all about, here are the original messages

<My original email>

Having recently acquired a 2002 Honda S2000, I am considering an upgrade to the car's ICE. I am aware from the s2ki.com UK Owners' forum that your equipment, courtesy of an interface, allows the owner to continue using the dash controls.

Consequently, I am initially considering your range and am ideally looking for a CD receiver head unit that also accepts MMC and/or SD cards with DAB. In my book, the use of large capacity MMC cards removes the need for a CD changer and as the technology is solid state, it should get around any skipping problems with a poorly sited changer. Head units such as the Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54 would meet my spec but, to my knowledge, will mean that my dash controls become u/s.

Do you have currently, or have any future plans to produce, a head unit that broadly matches the Woodstock range in terms of an having an integrated DAB tuner and the facility to playback MP3 from MMC or SD storage devices?

<Ross Gardiner of Alpine's response>

Im afraid not , we dont have any solid state media readers on any products just yet. Also we have stopped producing DAB units too, i think its due to the poor transmitter power around the uk.