UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Some guidance needed for wire tuck!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Hardly a wire tuck but needs must and in order to keep the wiring away from my turbo I extended and relocated my wiring to get it out of harms way......

Have you considered making up a box to cover the Abs/servo? If you do there are chassis rails you can follow and make it into quit a neat job.If you paint it body colour and put some nice louvers on it it would look like part of the engine bay.

I did consider doing that myself and having a cold air feed from the fax vent but the idea got lost when doing other work.
When you extended the wires, what wiring did you use? And are you able to use the same wires for all? I was actually considering putting a box over the abs tbf, and louvres does sound like a nice idea! Have you attempted to tuck the actual engine loom yet? Im pretty confident on all the wiring bar the engine stuff i.e where it needs to be tucked and what needs extending - its quite difficult to know as my engine is already out!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by WillisITR
I wire tucked my ITR and that was a track car. Made everything soooo straight forward and easy to maintain. The whole loom was on one connector which meant removing motor was very simple. It just takes time and ideally you want to remove the dash although people do it without.>>

Hardest part without a doubt was smoothing the bay with filler. I had never used filler before so was a steep learning curve. This took 3 weeks worth of evenings and weekends. But at the same time i stripped interior, fitted roll cage and flocked the whole interior too. I was pretty much a zombie for those three weeks.

Hiding things in your arches is utterly stupid. Fuse box should be located in glove box, batt can be placed in boot. Extending loom is pretty easy, just again time consuming.

I hate ABS, I am yet to drive a car with an ABS system I actually like. I just unplugged the ABS in my first Civic but removed everything in the Teg and the MK obviously doesn't have any form of driver aids. I would much rather be in full control of what my brakes are doing.

If i was going to do another tin top project i wouldn't feck around now. I would just strip to bare shell from day 1, powdercoat all subframe and arms after rebushing, fuel cell and braided lines, new brake lines, fit motor and build a loom from scratch running OMEX, Emmerald etc using a racetech dash . Maybe one day, old EF civic with mid mounted K20 .
Nice job there, looking awesome! I do body work in my spare time as its something i studied in college for 2 years, so any body work im confident with luckily. Was there any problems you encountered relocating the battery and extending wires? Anything i need to be aware of and any pointers before i start splicing?

I wanna get everything mapped out first so i know whats going where, and cut the least amount possible
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vteccorey
Originally Posted by mr-pitts' timestamp='1377883671' post='22753881
Hardly a wire tuck but needs must and in order to keep the wiring away from my turbo I extended and relocated my wiring to get it out of harms way......

Have you considered making up a box to cover the Abs/servo? If you do there are chassis rails you can follow and make it into quit a neat job.If you paint it body colour and put some nice louvers on it it would look like part of the engine bay.

I did consider doing that myself and having a cold air feed from the fax vent but the idea got lost when doing other work.
When you extended the wires, what wiring did you use? And are you able to use the same wires for all? I was actually considering putting a box over the abs tbf, and louvres does sound like a nice idea! Have you attempted to tuck the actual engine loom yet? Im pretty confident on all the wiring bar the engine stuff i.e where it needs to be tucked and what needs extending - its quite difficult to know as my engine is already out!
I just bought some duel core wire off ebay as the only wires I was extending where lights ect, nothing really essential to the running of the car.

Regarding a full wire tuck, im not really interested.I just moved the wires out of the way of the turbo, I also tucked the unmovable wires under the x member without too much trouble.

My basic goal is to have engine bay with a factory produced look about it,but being paranoid about heat damage forced me into doing the bit I did.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 AM

I can just see the insurance quote when you declare removing the ABS on your list of mods
You need to be a very good driver to out perform modern ABS
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser
I can just see the insurance quote when you declare removing the ABS on your list of mods
You need to be a very good driver to out perform modern ABS
That's why I don't really want to remove it, in the dry is fine but I wouldn't want to be without it in the wet! I'm looking into tucking it now anyway, need to go see my local mot guy to see if its something he needs to see during the test!