UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft Top Repair

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Repair

Putting the hood down this evening, i assume I hadnt latched the catch properly, end result a nice tear in the hood just behind the catch.
I have put some tape behind it as a temporary measure.
Here is a photo with the tape below the tear is probably 25mm by 15mm

It was in good condition and has no wear, so rather than look at Monsoon for a new hood just yet I was wondering if anyone had successfully repaired this location before.

I was looking to put a patch of roof material below, then use something like vinyl weld, but cant seem to find it anywhere nowdays.

So is there anyone out there that has an old hood that could donate a 75mm square.
Can someone recommend a good adhesive, and vinyl repair product.
Or does anyone know of a smart reair place in kent that could do an invisible repair.

Many thanks in advance.

Roger

Last edited by Rogc; 01-05-2018 at 03:42 AM. Reason: New photo link
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM

This link; Roof Repairs will give you a few pointers!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Some flexible glue (black witch, copydex) and a roof patch would be a start. I have some patches if you need.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vinyl repair patches for wet suits and dry suits work. The stuff is called Tear Aid and you can get it from any local dive shop for about a tenner. You could try patching it from the inside and see how it goes. My old roof went through above the driver's shoulder where the mech pinches it and it held that really well and didnt let any water in at all...it depends how much stress that part of your roof would be under when opening and closing it though as its pretty strong stuff but I don't know how long it would hold on that section you have damaged.

HTH

Alex
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the links and tips, if anyone has any black hood material drinking vouchers are waiting.
Rog
Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Erm I think I spotted an old roof available for off cuts in the for sale forum this week, one of the breaking car thread going. Take a look
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

The glue I, and others, have found good for roof repairs is the following:

Unibond Extreme
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM Sent
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I could do with a small patch of roof material if anyone is able to donate me some, mine ripped this weekend :-(

Only need an inch by inch.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spykee
Vinyl repair patches for wet suits and dry suits work. The stuff is called Tear Aid and you can get it from any local dive shop for about a tenner. You could try patching it from the inside and see how it goes. My old roof went through above the driver's shoulder where the mech pinches it and it held that really well and didnt let any water in at all...it depends how much stress that part of your roof would be under when opening and closing it though as its pretty strong stuff but I don't know how long it would hold on that section you have damaged.

HTH

Alex
Your repair on your old hood was excellent Spyke, very neat

Quick Reply: Soft Top Repair