UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft top holes

Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 AM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top holes

I know full well that I'm unlikely to get anywhere with Honda, when it comes to complaining about holes in my soft top. Despite it being a low milage, fairly newish car that's still under extended warrenty, at most they are prepared to offer me a discount on parts. It would still cost me a couple of grand to get it fixed by the dealership.

Odds are, I'm eventually going to have to get a new roof from carhood, but that's not going to stop me trying to have a go at honda.

Anyone who's got this problem with the soft top will know exactly where the problem occurs, and that it's some fairly sharp edged metal in the soft top frame that causes wear and holes in the roof. I beleive this is a manufacturing flaw that Honda know about and are brushing under the carpet.

So, having got some legal advice, I'm going to be speaking to this organisation (SMMT) to see if:

a) I can get my problems with the roof resolved
b) Perhaps I can help people with the same issue's with the roof, and get this organisation to lean on Honda to admit it as a design fault with the car.

I expect to get no-where, I can but try...

So, if you've had issue's Like this, add your name and a few details of where the hole on the soft top occured to this thread thankyouplease. If you've had your soft top replaced already, still add to the thread plz.

--------------------------------------------------------

Name: Matt Paul
Fault location: Behind window at bottom on drivers side, also above drivers side shoulder.

Current situation: Unresolved.

---------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-27-2008, 04:13 AM

Erm SMMT is an organisation that is for the benefit of the car industry.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:16 AM
MIP

Originally Posted by Gaspode,Nov 27 2008, 05:13 AM
Erm SMMT is an organisation that is for the benefit of the car industry.
Zing

They are the organization that my legal advice has told me to speak with.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:01 AM

Mine is starting to go on the passenger side in the usual place.
However, I don't think I can complain at 8 years and 105k miles.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 AM

Name: Paul Watkins

2003/03 - Holes above driver's and passenger's shoulders

Hood replaced under warranty in early 2006 (I think) at Kendal Honda - I sold the car in May 2007
Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 AM

There is a list like you are trying to create here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9386631

Just needs 2007-08 additions. HTH.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
MIP

Originally Posted by GavB,Nov 27 2008, 08:37 AM
There is a list like you are trying to create here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9386631

Just needs 2007-08 additions. HTH.
Cheers mate, that's absolutly perfect

I'll continue that same list within this thread to bring it up to date, then I'll be in contact with the SMMT on Monday. If you've had this problem, please add yourself in, it adds more weight to the case. Who knows, Honda might cave in and fork out some compensation...as if they will. But you never know unless you try.

Ian King - MY 02 Holes on both sides at bottom edge of roof, behind side windows.
Waiting... - 03, I had the same problem 3 months after purchase so well within the 12 month extended warranty
BradRWills - Berkshire - MY03 - small tear above passengers side shoulder
Umski - MY05, wear above driver's shoulder
neaput - MY05 - 24k Small tears developing above both driver and passenger door
BledS2k -MY02 - 57k Inch split drivers side behind door & starting slightly on the Passengers side. Damage on Drivers Side behind shoulder - patched for the time being.
jonner - My03 starting to develop holes in both side...Very low milage on car
Kiteland - MY05 - (car was 2 years old when I had it) start of tears on both side (shoulder height) both roof and frame replaced by Honda UK
Harry - (MY03) Small tear (but not yet a hole) driver's side adjacent to the shoulder portion of frame which has sharp edges as oppsed to passenger side which has smoother frame and only slight rubbing mark
Scott - I'm on my third hood on an 07 car. First hood lasted 9 months, warranty replacement lasted 6 months.... now on the third.
kevin - 04 split along passenger side
Andy - MY00 74k - tears behind both doors and on both shoulders, split in screed
Pippa - MY02 hole above drivers shoulder 51k
satsuma - MY05 - tear in hood above driver's right shoulder - hood replaced (but not the frame) last May
MIP MY04 Tear above shoulder, and behind window. Honda refusing to cover it under extended warranty
BenHampton MY03 Dealers refusing to cover it under extended warranty
Paul (guest) MY03 Dealer replaced roof as OEM warranty ended 1 wk before
paullec25 my01 had to use bike puncture repair kit dealers says to old
PhenomS2k - MY01 - Roof torn to ****ary at the base behind each side window, replaced with a Carhood mohair and glass jobby.
grahamb MY03 Dealer replaced roof under OEM warranty.
Fieldl MY04 (2004) Dealer replaced under warranty
Fluffyninja - 2001 Yet to be replaced but car is outside of warranty - both shoulders and plastic screen
Ciderboy - small tear is the same place on drivers side. Recently got worse when tape inside came off with out me noticing. Have bought a fix kit from Halfords and will see how that helps in a few weeks. Not been to dealers as it only developed once >3 years old.
Jaeger - Tears on both sides, at base where it meats the body. Haven't gone to dealers, I'm out of warranty now. MY2001
Burnie 2005 two very small tears both over right shoulder.Still in warranty Ill edit when or not fixed
Bassoctopus MY00 - tears on both sides where roof meets body and shoulder on drivers side.
Dreamer MY05 (55) - rubbing on drivers side, car been with dealer for a week waiting to hear from HUK Warranty. Dealer has said that they saw another car like this too.
Neil (2003) - roof & frame replaced under warranty.
SSEL MY99 GPW JDM - torn in the usual places, got a new one coming from JP
Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Who have you spoken to at Honda UK?

PM me names if you prefer.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM
MIP

Unfortunatly I don't have the guys name. I've been speaking with the people at my local dealership in Newbury, and Honda customer service (01753 590 760). I can ring them during the day tommorow and find out who I've been dealing with if it's useful?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 AM

MY05 - tear in hood above driver's right shoulder - hood replaced (but not the frame) last May.

Quick Reply: Soft top holes