UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft Top.... Final Solution!!

Old 02-12-2002, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Top.... Final Solution!!

Well I had a good look at my soft top this morning and despite all the work with Bumpercare it was still patchy although less so, but even worse, it was looking decidedly shiny in places. Applying more Bumpercare would perhaps have got rid of the patchiness eventually, but promoted even more shininess... ugh!

I decided it was 'Bite The Bullet' time so following 'Duffers' advice in the 'Soft Top Hell' thread, I got a bucket of fairly warm water, a sponge, and a soft scrubbing brush. Using a bar of very mild soap, ....'Imperial Leather' (Only the best ), I set to work removing all the work I've done on the soft top. To say I was a little concerned about the outcome would be the understatement of the year. After 3 good goings over with the soap and hosing off in between, the top looks like it did the day I picked it up. Standing back from it, it looks like soft fabric again. It isn't black, it's the very dark grey it was originally meant to be. I'll probably repeat the treatment a couple of times before I decide what if anything, I'm going to treat it with.

I'm not slagging off the 'Bumpercare', no doubt my problems were caused by the fabric treatment I applied in the first place. For all you guys removing your hardtops in the near future, depending on the state of your soft tops, I would definitely recommend the mild soap treatment before you think about doing anything else. Incidentally, the suface still beads water like Hell... it's vinyl!
Old 02-12-2002, 03:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear the Bumpercare treatment proved reversible Cedric

If you have the means to acquire some 303 Protectant from the States, I really can't recommend it highly enough for maintaining that soft near black fabric appearance. (It is essentially a UV protectant which is obviously less of an issue here than in say Florida of California, but I still believe it will contribute to the longevity of the roof.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:10 AM

I think the UV protection is a very valid point Ian. I think I'll have to speak to my son in The States!
Old 02-12-2002, 03:11 AM

I've stayed out of these threads before (many complex discussions on the merits of various products for the roof and the application of same). Having once been the proud owner of an MG Midget and having just used soap and water on that with great success, soap and water is all I've used on the S2000's hood and it's been fine.

Maybe us relative oldies (like Duffer and Cedric and myself) have the automotive equivalent of the old simple household remedies

Only six weeks to hardtop removal!
Old 02-12-2002, 03:15 AM

As my Dad used to say....... "If it aint broke don't fix it!"
Old 02-12-2002, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]
Old 02-12-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by mikerich
Don't tell me you've got connections up there too!
My information is that nasty cold mankiness will begin to be replaced by lovely warm scrumptiousness from that date.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by PWE 896
My information is that nasty cold mankiness will begin to be replaced by lovely warm scrumptiousness from that date.
Please please please pretty please
Old 03-30-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Well I had a good look at my soft top this morning and despite all the work with Bumpercare it was still patchy although less so, but even worse, it was looking decidedly shiny in places. Applying more Bumpercare would perhaps have got rid of the patchiness eventually, but promoted even more shininess... ugh!

I decided it was 'Bite The Bullet' time so following 'Duffers' advice in the 'Soft Top Hell' thread, I got a bucket of fairly warm water, a sponge, and a soft scrubbing brush. Using a bar of very mild soap, ....'Imperial Leather' (Only the best ), I set to work removing all the work I've done on the soft top. To say I was a little concerned about the outcome would be the understatement of the year. After 3 good goings over with the soap and hosing off in between, the top looks like it did the day I picked it up. Standing back from it, it looks like soft fabric again. It isn't black, it's the very dark grey it was originally meant to be. I'll probably repeat the treatment a couple of times before I decide what if anything, I'm going to treat it with.

I'm not slagging off the 'Bumpercare', no doubt my problems were caused by the fabric treatment I applied in the first place. For all you guys removing your hardtops in the near future, depending on the state of your soft tops, I would definitely recommend the mild soap treatment before you think about doing anything else. Incidentally, the suface still beads water like Hell... it's vinyl!
Did this get rid of the shiny patches in certain areas. I can't figure out how to get rid of those yet...
Old 03-30-2003, 11:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Blur
[B]

Did this get rid of the shiny patches in certain areas.

Quick Reply: Soft Top.... Final Solution!!