UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft severe rattle when stowed...Ideas?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft severe rattle when stowed...Ideas?

Hi Guys Back again still on a rattle hunt and cure!

!Had superb feedback regarding catch rattle and that is now sorted.

The only other rattle I have ever had is, when during the winterI stow the softtop and fit hard top.

This year in attempt to stop this occuring when we folded the soft top we placed soft blanketing between folds which ensured soft top "stowed stops" fully contacted soft top, as should,but still the sound/rattle of soft top jumping up and down in the car is the same....again just an annoying small point but is there a cure????
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 AM

Check that the two rubber "Cotton Reels" are in place on the hardtop, they should be under the two brackets that protrude into the car by the bottom of the glass rear window. i believe they put a little pressure on the collapsed soft top frame to stop any rattles. Guys correct me if i am wrong.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gaxxy,Nov 12 2010, 05:39 AM
Check that the two rubber "Cotton Reels" are in place on the hardtop, they should be under the two brackets that protrude into the car by the bottom of the glass rear window. i believe they put a little pressure on the collapsed soft top frame to stop any rattles. Guys correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Done thats what I meant by soft top stops..with the blanketing included the stops are down hard but soft bangs/rattles up and down especially over bad surfaces (UK roads)
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You sure it's not the soft top hooks rattling rather than the soft top itself.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 12 2010, 11:46 PM

No Thats a sound I know well!!This is the sound of the soft top bouncing up and down in the stowed postion,it appears to have enough movement to enable it to pivot around fold joints allowing it move up and down even though th stops are down hard plus this year we placed a blanket between folds....the sound of it banging up and down is quite distintive and only apparent when stowed...could it be the first section to fold down is managing to bounce up and down on the cabin floor....get rid of that noise (,now that I have the catches silenced thanks to recent post) the interior when running would be perfect,well its perfect now but it would be quieter..thanks

No Thats a sound I know well!!This is the sound of the soft top bouncing up and down in the stowed postion,it appears to have enough movement to enable it to pivot around fold joints allowing it move up and down even though th stops are down hard plus this year we placed a blanket between folds....the sound of it banging up and down is quite distintive and only apparent when stowed...could it be the first section to fold down is managing to bounce up and down on the cabin floor....get rid of that noise (,now that I have the catches silenced thanks to recent post) the interior when running would be perfect,well its perfect now but it would be quieter..thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=caskin,Nov 12 2010, 05:27 AM] Hi Guys Back again still on a rattle hunt and cure!

!Had superb feedback regarding catch rattle and that is now sorted.

The only other rattle I have ever had is, when during the winterI stow the softtop and fit hard top.

This year in attempt to stop this occuring when we folded the soft top we placed soft blanketing between folds which ensured soft top "stowed stops" fully contacted soft top, as should,but still the sound/rattle
Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I have the same issue and have played around with it quite a bit. It all feels pretty solid back there. I've added some packing to the 'rubber cotton reels' attached to the hard top to force the roof down and added some rubber matting at discrete points and yet the noise still persists.

Pretty sure it's not the catches but after reading this I'll check them too.

Interested if anyone finds out what it is and I'll post if find out in the meantime.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Tbh it's a designed in reminder that you're not using the car correctly and it's good motivation to get the HT off as soon as the cold months have finished. My main dislike of this car has always been how noisy it is with the HT fitted - turn up the radio or turn on VTEC.

I had been considering selling the hardtop and putting the money to one side for the inevitable soft top replacement