UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Soft roof coming apart

Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft roof coming apart

I only noticed this the other day, but need some advice on the type of glue for the following issue (glue needs to be strong, soft and flexible):

[I apologies up front as I don't have any pictures so please bear with me]

What has happened is that there is a strip ("hook" side, the piece of plastic covered with tiny hooks) of Velcro which is coming off and is found under the left\right side of the rear windscreen. It lives under a quarter sections to the left\right of the glass. I gather it is to reduce wear and tear when the roof folds back onto itself. From looks of things there is a plastic rail that along the bottom edge of the rear windscreen which also holds in the glass and extends into the roof quarter folds. This then allows the plastic rail to move up and down as the roof folds back and forth.

Hope that makes sense?

So, I guess it's a common problem which requires a simply fix. Seems the original glue has dried up and just needs to be re-glued.

Any pointers?

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double sided tape?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 AM

glue used for mending wetsuits (can't remember name of it, bought it from evil bay) used it for the same thing on mine (Note to self, do the other side) no issues, IF you clean all the grungy old glue off first and are a bit careful the glue tends to behave a bit like spun sugar and can dribble without warning.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by LadyB,Sep 24 2009, 02:18 AM
glue used for mending wetsuits (can't remember name of it, bought it from evil bay) used it for the same thing on mine (Note to self, do the other side) no issues, IF you clean all the grungy old glue off first and are a bit careful the glue tends to behave a bit like spun sugar and can dribble without warning.
Was it 'BLACK WITCH NEOPRENE CEMENT / WETSUIT GLUE?' http://www.boardridersguide.com/pages/prod...s&cookie_test=1

Also, how much did you use? Did you have to apply pressure until the glue had dried?

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 AM

might be same stuff, mine was in a tin, and I really can't remember the name of it. If I get chance I will investigate the garage and post up, but it might be tomorrow when I get chance to do this though. TBH should do the job.

I clamped it with LARGE bulldog clips over a couple of pieces of ply cut to size overnight - job done.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=LadyB,Sep 24 2009, 03:00 AM] might be same stuff, mine was in a tin, and I really can't remember the name of it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spies,Sep 24 2009, 02:07 AM
Double sided tape?
I doubt that would hold with the roof folding back and forth. Unless it industrial strength!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by kmcknight2001uk,Sep 24 2009, 07:32 AM
Cheers for that LadyB. If you could check (no rush as I won't get round to doing it probably in two weeks time) that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like a good plan.

I'll do the same and report back.

Well, I'd thought I'd report back once I was all done; so here goes:

I used the Black Witch Wet Suit glue (http://www.freakfish.co.uk/black-wit...ive-mnbwd.html) which worked a treat and can get a bit messy if you're not too careful. Because it is black it's not too bad it you don't do a clean repair as it isn't that noticeable due to the colour.

I applied a good layer to both the plastic strip (making sure each corner had ample glue) and the underneath of the roof to which it was going to stick to. Gave it a few minutes for the clue to set then applied the plastic strip. After which I used cardboard templates on either side of the roof section (one on top and one underneath), clamped with 4 bull dog clips (60mm wide) and left for 24 hours for a good solid bond.

I also did the same on the other side of the windscreen which was also coming off, but not as bad.

I did as LadyB advised and all good! Simple fix. I finally finished off with some felt (same stuff as advised elsewhere on this forum for roof repairs) to line the outer stitching on the underneath to make a clean finish and to reduced further wear (optional).

Cheers LadyB for the tips!
Hope this helps others...