UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SO2 tyres in winter

Old 09-09-2004, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO2 tyres in winter

I may need to use my S2000 during the winter months instead of leaving it in the garage. Question for all those all year round drivers - should I leave SO2s on (still plenty of life) or should I change to Eagles F1s.

I drive very conservatively in rain, snow etc.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:52 AM

snow tyres?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:56 AM

The car is quite driveable in the wet with SO2s, but from what I understand driving on snow is a different matter. If you have to make a standing start on the slightest incline you will get stuck from what I have heard.

I would hang on to get the most out of your SO2s, and change in late November - or if you know a decent tyre fitter who will change a set for c
Old 09-09-2004, 04:58 AM

That's a bit extreme, Crusoe.

I swapped my S02s for F1s after I pranged my car in October 2002, about 5 months after I had bought it. It's probably mainly psychological but I always felt that there were a better bet when it was cold and wet.

That said, I'm not from the "Scrap the S02s at all costs" school of thought - they're perfectly useable if you bear in mind their limitations - they don't grip as well in winter because they don't warm up as much, and they don't shift water as well as some other types as a result of the tread pattern.

If you follow the usual advice about smooth inputs, gradual application of power and being mindful of standing water, S02s will serve you perfectly well through the winter. No point binning a set of tyres with plenty of life left in them IMO.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:04 AM

unless you are on any kind of incline then forget it!

Depends what you're surrounding croads are like and whether leaving the car at home is an option.

I did this last winter.

But I wouldn't recommend it.

Also lets not forget this fiasco

Old 09-09-2004, 05:31 AM

There is loads of info about S02's on here, about the fact that towards the end of their life the rain grooves get narrower and hence a bit excitable in the wet.

My rear's (S02's) recently went south and I have to admit at the end driving in the wet was no fun - not because I was aquaplaning as I was going really slow, but I was sh1tting myself about them suddenly giving up grip and crashing.

For peace of mind and after much research I have recently changed to Toyo Proxes all round for
Old 09-09-2004, 05:38 AM

IMO non S02 tyres can go into roll oversteer quite suddenly in the dry compared to the S2K specific S02s which have very stiff side walls, just something to watch if you are pushing on on on eof the other brands and have still kept the 16" origional wheels.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 AM

dude, its about how you use yer right foot... personally, I like the S0'2's.. have no issue with them in rain or snow - smoothness is the key, regardless of the tyre you are using. The only issue I have with them is their longevity - 4Kmiles is the most I have got - but as above, that's prob cos of right foot usage!
Old 09-09-2004, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To put this into perspective, how often does it snow in Guildford? On the odd day that it may you can maybe stay at home (that'll be an extra day off sick every five years then!). If you drive carefully in the wet you'll be ok on S-02's (just watch out for standing water - especially in the outside lane of the M25 clockwise near Rickmansworth ).

If you are that worried about I would recommend buying some S-03's (I found these to be excellent in the wet -the dry grip was good also - but I recently swopped to S-02's because I don't have to use the car as a daily commuter, I don't plan to drive it in the wet too much, and the S-03's cost me
Old 09-09-2004, 05:55 AM

Is the S2K useable in the snow or is it get out and walk time?

I know it doesn't snow much, even up north. But I had a few bad experiences with my car that I've just got rid of (M3) in the ice & snow.

Quick Reply: SO2 tyres in winter