UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

So why did you buy the S2000

Old 05-08-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Subaru2000
BECAUSE I COULDN'T AFFORD THE BOXSTER S'

Only joking

Old 05-08-2003, 09:37 AM

One of the reasons was the dealer where I test drove it made me scared. He said

1. always check the oil every time you fill up or you could have engine problems

2. be careful on wet roads and avoid vetec

I thought any car you have to respect like this must be special

But mainly cos I can burn off Fiats on slip roads
Old 05-08-2003, 10:35 AM

Until Feb this year I had owned a Datsun 260Z for 22 years....
The company cars I was entitled to were run of the mill, A4, Passat & Ford ghia x. The Datsun was my weekend escape from normality. It required constant tuning and tweaking but on its day ( for a 28 year old car ) could turn a few heads and push the odd GTI into the red bit on the tacho. I saw the S2000 on top gear, read all the reviews and bought one in March. It has the head turning ability of the Datsun but the performance is a different league. The Datsun was a great car in its day, hence I kept it for 22 years......but it took me only a week to sell it once the S2 was found.

Speaks volumes...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by buckman
[B]Until Feb this year I had owned a Datsun 260Z for 22 years....
The company cars I was entitled to were run of the mill, A4, Passat & Ford ghia x. The Datsun was my weekend escape from normality. It required constant tuning and tweaking but on its day ( for a 28 year old car ) could turn a few heads and push the odd GTI into the red bit on the tacho. I saw the S2000 on top gear, read all the reviews and bought one in March. It has the head turning ability of the Datsun but the performance is a different league. The Datsun was a great car in its day, hence I kept it for 22 years......but it took me only a week to sell it once the S2 was found.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:11 AM

I had an MR2 roadster as a first soft top as it was all I could afford. Had liked the look of the S2000 from the day it came out, test drove one in August 2002 and the wife talked me into buying it!! Never considered anything else as once I'd driven it. Main reason was the 9k redline...............
Old 05-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Wow!!! I had a Capric V6 3000GT back in the early 70s, and the 260Z was one the few natural rivals then. Awesome to think they're out-performed by family hatches these days !

With the whole family in them as well .....

Not so much the performance of the S2 attracted me but the technology used to obtain it. At its most tuned the Datsun was near 2.8 litres with triple 45's and eurotunnel exhaust... yet could not better 18mpg or 60 mph in 7.6 ish.....
Moving from suck- bang and blow to VTEC is a huge leap in technology in just a few decades. Me welders, colour tune and valve spring compressors will have to go...
Its just a pity the roads are not a clear as they were when I bought the Datsun in 81......
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by ianl
Civic VTEC........Civic VTi......Prelude VTEC....zero problems.....natural progression.....S2000
Totally, Ian !

Had British, had German (audi quat), had Prelude VTEC
Having a reliable car, with a special engine, that only 10% of drivers know what the VTEC badge can do.. I quickly grew to love it.

I'm in marketing, and always enjoy 'buying' into brands. I purchase that which I have brand affinity with.

For me, Honda is understated, technically impressive, and sufficiently dedicated to their vision to take business risks.
Toyota, mazda, nissan, audi, come nowhere near this.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by ianl
Civic VTEC........Civic VTi......Prelude VTEC....zero problems.....natural progression.....S2000
Almost the same but lacking lengthy Honda pedigree, went from CRX VTI (had it 3.5 years) to S2000. Saw initial full review in Car magazine in March 1999, I'd already read about it somewhere before & talked to the Honda staff who had nothing but a photocopy of an article. Decided it was for me then, had to wait/save for another 2 years to get one though !
Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM

I read a review which said Eddie Jordan was trading his NSX for one. I thought "if it's good enough for him..." I put down my deposit then a bit later the VBH review came out and I thought "yes that will do me". On my second one now!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:36 PM

In no particular order:

- I have had three Hondas (78 Accord, 90 CRX, 92 Civic VTI). Two good cars, one great car and all reliable.
- I owned a BMW before and I didn't like the image. Hondas do not suffer the same attitude.
- Audi TT to common, BMW 330CI good, but more of the same, four year old Boxster for the same price - no thanks, Elise to small with a crap roof and Chimeara to expensive to run and potentially unreliable.
- an excellent test drive.
- a good deal and short delivery time.
- It looks fantastic, and is not a common sight.
- its everything a sports car should be.

Quick Reply: So why did you buy the S2000