UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

So Insulting!

Old 08-05-2002, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Insulting!

Well, after 9 months' ownership, my baby is spending its 11th night at the dealership tonight. It's having its THIRD replacement gearbox and clutch, and it's had electrical problems looked at too.

5 months ago, when the second replacement gearbox was about to be installed, I contacted Honda UK to express my concern at the car being a bit of a lemon. They told me that I should wait and see how the new gearbox performed.

A couple of months later the problem recurred and I asked Honda to sell me a new s2k: I had lost all confidence in my one. They arranged for the car to be tested by the dealer (the manager driving it to his home for the night, some 50 miles away) before I got a call from the patronising customer services representative: she said smugly ...
"Mr. Frodsham, bad news for YOU I'm afraid. The manager could hear no gearbox noise"

I was incensed and insisted that the chief technician at the dealership came out on a test drive. He heard the noise within a couple of hundred yards.

I then waited 1 MONTH for the new gearbox, and the car went in last Thursday. On Friday I was told it needed a new clutch as well. Today I was called by that irritating CSR at Honda UK who said ...
"Mr. Frodsham, bad news I'm afraid. Your car will not be ready till Wednesday. As for your complaint, we can offer you a discount on your next service"

HOW INSULTING!

I just cannot believe the stance of Honda UK. All I want is a reliable s2k, and I've offered to pay towards a new one. They just won't take the car back: it's too old, they say. It's 18 months old, in fact.

I feel I have no choice but to write to Honda Japan and, if that doesn't work, I regret it may have to be the press!

Anyone else had this experience? Anything we can do as an owners' club??

Froddy
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Froddy
[B]HOW INSULTING!

I just cannot believe the stance of Honda UK. All I want is a reliable s2k, and I've offered to pay towards a new one. They just won't take the car back: it's too old, they say. It's 18 months old, in fact.

I feel I have no choice but to write to Honda Japan and, if that doesn't work, I regret it may have to be the press!
Old 08-06-2002, 05:17 AM

Froddy, my sympathy for what its worth is with u, my near three year saga is also well documented here. My car is supposed to be going to Chiswick next week for its fourth clutch and second front end respray, have no faith at all that this will sort things, if the car so much as shows any signs of respray work it will be rejected on the spot and will remain until it is as was when delivered.
On the subject of replacement, tricky, even going the Finance company route leads to threats of claim and counter claim, if you have the energy and money it may be worth it, but they have us by the short ones.
Was offered free oil service for my troubles, the girls at Honda Uk do not have clue, this is just another Civic to them. Feel this will only be resolved when it appears on telly or some other medium.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:33 PM

Thanks for that, guys - it appears I'm not the only one. It's such a shame that Honda adopts this attitude because the crazy thing is that I love the car so much that I'd happily have another one.

I still don't have the car back - there have been 2 'failed' deliveries of the replacement clutch. They reckon I may get the car back on Thursday night, by which time it will have been at the dealership for 8 days on a 2 day job!

Guess we'll have to hang in there ... and avoid the temptation to defect to the Boxster

Froddy
Old 08-07-2002, 12:24 AM
Ade

Sorry to hear about you guys having problems.

Honda seems to have a system that works really well with small and easily identified problems that dealers will gladly rectify. If anything more serious goes wrong the problems just seem to multiply.

Good Luck