UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Smooth Gear Changes

Old 11-07-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smooth Gear Changes

I am finding that I have to use a bit of effort to get between the gears in that it goes halfway and then I have to it a bit of a push to get it in gear. This happens throughout the gears but mainly in 1st - 2nd. Any ideas? Are most gearboxes on here pretty smooth or is it a feature of the S2000?

Cheers
Old 11-07-2002, 04:09 AM

arbuckle,

How many miles have you done in your car? You'll find that the gearbox is very stiff to start with, but loosens up as you do more miles. Once the engine is run in smooth gear changes should be no problem. The short throw of the gear stick also takes a bit if getting used to.

Not the most technical of answers but I don't think you've got too much to worry about.

Ian
Old 11-07-2002, 04:20 AM

Thanx for the reply

Just about to hit 1000 so am still in possession of a stupid fixed grin whenever I have an unguarded (speed camera + mobile units) striaght road to go at. Fortunately there are a few around mine.

For the past week or so the distances I am covering are fairly small max 5 mile non-motorway commute so I am not sure whather the stiffness is due to me not really getting going.

As an aside, with the roof down, the alarm keeps going off. Is this a sensitivity setting problem and who needs to fix it.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found mine perfect from the start! Some on the board have used additives, I've had two gearbox oil changes to date (3 years old)
Old 11-07-2002, 04:23 AM

I also find that the first few gear changes each morning (especially into 1st) are stiff but they quickly loosen up after a few minutes of driving. I've got about 7500 miles on the clock so fairly run-in. Have just accepted that this is a warm up period each morning (must say I feel a bit like the car first thing.......takes a few minutes before everything starts to move smoothly!).
Old 11-07-2002, 04:38 AM

Thanks Neil,

I'll give a few months and a few thousand miles

If the car felt like I did every morning, then it would never get out of the garage.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2002, 04:40 AM

I completely agree, mine has done approx 1300 miles now, and I have exactly the same problem while the engine/transmission is still cold of a morning. I take it very easy with everything until I have covered about approx four miles before I VTEC or attempt to make swift gear changes.
Once the engine is warm (you can actually feel the difference through the transmission tunnel sidewall - which is quite nice sometimes on a cold morning and through the gear shift knob) I have no such problems.

Its definitely worth giving your car time/a few miles to warm through in the mornings.

R.

ps - I have noticed on a couple (say three or so) occassions that I have put the car into second at a standstill, only to find that the gear does not seem to be fully engaged tho - but I have put this down to myself still getting used to the car, and maybe the fact that my elbow was knocking into the radar detectors jack into the power outlet ! (its hard wired now)
Old 11-07-2002, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arbuckle, the gear shift on mine has always been a little notchy first thing but I don't think any shift should be as you described it once it's warmed up. I would have thought it fine after 5 miles in what has been fairly mild weather.

If it were mine, I'd have a word with the dealer. But , before that, see if you can find someone on the board fairly near you (with a newish car) and compare.

Pete
Old 11-07-2002, 06:23 AM

It's a sad fact that a not insignificant number of cars have a very poor gear change. I've had three new gearboxes and clutches, which still has not solved the problem. I know that other owners on here have had similar problems.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:57 AM
Banned

The gearbox oil has to warm up (just like the engine) and might not be as smooth as it could be first thing, that's normal.
Any problems with first to second when it's warm?

Quick Reply: Smooth Gear Changes