UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

small rip in softop - any advice welcome

Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and stick to your seat!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will report back if it comes off, I might have the brand of glue wrong, it was one that was mentioned on the USA side for roof repairs and some of those guys have lots of sun I will see if I can find the tube of glue I used for the repair and update.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 AM

I found none of these glues and patches last very long and don't look particularly nice.

I'm off for a weekend trip to Wales to see Jack Smith next week. New roof for under £300 is a bargain and you would easily recoup that cost when you sell as poor roof is big put off.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:40 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Preventive maintenance is the best solution but you're past that point if there's a tear and will have to patch it somehow.

I sanded the roof hardware and put wear patches on the inside of the roof to prevent this sort of problem. Pretty well known issue that I was glad I caught before any tears occurred (so far!).

Lurkers take note,

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My attempt thus far has been the tear-aid type B (for vinyl)though as previously mentioned it doesn't hold well as our inside has a fabric finish....
this Gorilla tape, does it stick well & does it hold up to hot weather? if so then I shall use this and get my seamstress to sow the inch tear.....the other option for me is this Stormsure, can you be specific which kit? obviously I fully intend to leave the roof up as long as it takes to bond properly, and also get it to run under and beyond the offending inner cross beam that caused the problem.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 AM

So to update as mentioned:- The glue that I have used with success is Unibond Repair Extreme Power Glue and this is sticking the Type B Tear-Aid patch to the inside.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 AM

I have done a couple of different methods throughout the years and I've found the best looking and longest lasting results through this method.

Tools needed:
Permatex Black Silicone Sealant
Vinyl patches or soft top patches.
Sewing needle
Black Thread (Thicker preferred)
Gloves

1. Sew the hole back together. (Sorry this is the best picture I can find online right now.)

2. Cut the vinyl patch about an inch and a half in width and the a little longer then the length of the tear.

3. Then apply the permatex black silicone sealant on the vinyl patch and spread it evenly. Place the patch on the interior under the tear and hold it there firmly for about 2-3 minutes. Some silicone may leak through the tear but that is fine.

4. Lastly use some of the permatex and apply it on the exterior part of the tear and spread it nice and evenly. Don't apply it to much.

When you are done it should look like this picture below.

5. Let it set for about 24 hours so drys nicely.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by hookedonboost
So to update as mentioned:- The glue that I have used with success is Unibond Repair Extreme Power Glue and this is sticking the Type B Tear-Aid patch to the inside.
I've done that before. That will only hold for like 6 month depending on how much you put your soft top down.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Iv used soft top repair patch on mine. still holding strong.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-RK.../dp/B00BRHRBQG

Also added some bike chain guards to the joints to prevent further damage.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...FcPMtAodsYUPTQ

All been good for the past 24 months.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

How does the chain protector go on the roof frame? Does it drag on the fabric?

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: small rip in softop - any advice welcome