UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

small rip in softop - any advice welcome

Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small rip in softop - any advice welcome

my softop has developed a tiny rip - about 2 cm long. Looks like it is just wear and tear. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fix this and make it as good as possible?

many thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some Gorrila tape on the inside of it of the roof, this will stop it leaking. The tape will probably need replacing every 6 months or so if it's where the roof folds.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small patch of fabric, smear it in black silicone and then stick it on the inside of the softop over the split. Good for years!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remove the top completely and bin it. There is no hope to stop it from tearing completely...

I've used a flexiable glue which has done a pretty good job in stopping water ingress, something like black witch, it doesn't necessarily stop the tear continuing though.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:38 AM

I've used a soft top repair kit from ebay, stormsure, i think. So long as you give the glue a good 12hrs to cure it has worked fine for me.
Comes with some mohair dust, to try and colour it and a pvc patch to repair the inside.
Cost less than a tenner.
Works on the plastic rear window aswell.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly it will be one of many tears that will start to appear. My roof was replaced recently although it did well to last 10 years!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 AM
jsh

Jack Smith Trimmers,Swansea.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 AM

I had this same issue, I have tried many things but the one that has lasted is using Tear-Aid patch Type B and then glue this using Evo-Stik Impact glue as this is stronger than the Tear-Aid alone. I found adding a Lizard Skin neoprene mountain bike wrap to the bar that rubs and meets the fabric at the back behind the drivers head to really help as in my case this bar was pulling the Tear-Aid patch off! I have Lizard Skins on the normal bars as well and the Hong Kong special Velcro strap upgrade as well as you might find this is your reason for the tear.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:10 AM

if you are keeping the car then just keep patching and save up for a new roof (and keep an eye out for the odd bargain here and there)

most rag tops are patched up anyway

don't lose sleep over it
Old 07-29-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedonboost
......then glue this using Evo-Stik Impact glue as this is stronger than the Tear-Aid alone. I found adding a Lizard Skin neoprene mountain bike wrap to the bar that rubs and meets the fabric at the back behind the drivers head to really help as in my case this bar was pulling the Tear-Aid patch off!
I'm beginning to think the lizard skin doesn't do much, I've found the tear above the driver head is wear from one of the bars going across the roof. I've used a storm sure patch and its holding up fine.

Also DO NOT USE Evo-Stik,it will melt on a sunny day (if we ever get one) and the patch will fall off.

Quick Reply: small rip in softop - any advice welcome