UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Slippery Tyres Falken FK 452

Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slippery Tyres Falken FK 452

Hi All

Not long had a full set of Falken 452's fitted (205,55,16 front 225,50,16 rear).

They are nowhere as good as the previous worn out Rainsportt 2's rear and BF goodrich fronts. It twitches in bends, understeers and puts the tail out very easily. Better now than when first fitted, bot still not happy with them. Done 276 miles just now.

Anyone else running on Falkens out there, what's your experience from new. How long before I get the grip that I ought to get from these tyres?

Its so bad that I am seriously considdering changing them as the car feels decidedly dangerous.

The fitters say they should be giving full grip after just 50 miles. Falken say they should give excelent grip after "bedding in".

How long do you have to wait for a tyre to bed in and give full grip?

Should I persevere with these tyres, or dump them and get another set?

HELP

Regards

Chris
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 AM

I thought I was the only person who didn't get on well with the Falkens.

I used them on my old M3 a few years ago and didn't think they provided as much grip as the Toyo T1R's or dunlop sport max that I'd also had on the car.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 AM

I found them pretty good. Give them a good thrashing. Also, it might not help much that outside is -6. They are a summer tyre after all
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 AM

On another note, have you have your Geo check since fitting them? Any uneven wear patterns on the old tyres you took off?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisunwin,Jan 21 2011, 11:33 AM
Hi All

Not long had a full set of Falken 452's fitted (205,55,16 front 225,50,16 rear).

They are nowhere as good as the previous worn out Rainsportt 2's rear and BF goodrich fronts. It twitches in bends, understeers and puts the tail out very easily. Better now than when first fitted, bot still not happy with them. Done 276 miles just now.

Anyone else running on Falkens out there, what's your experience from new. How long before I get the grip that I ought to get from these tyres?

Its so bad that I am seriously considdering changing them as the car feels decidedly dangerous.

The fitters say they should be giving full grip after just 50 miles. Falken say they should give excelent grip after "bedding in".

How long do you have to wait for a tyre to bed in and give full grip?
I have them on the 380bhp BMW.

And find them excellent.

Are you comparing like for like, as in similar subzero operating conditions?
How do the cost of these compare to the comparison set you had before?
Did you operate the other set in similar cold winter conditions - its slippery in any vehicle right now!

276 miles is not enough to bed these in during cold winter running either.
They won't get hot enough for a start.

They are an excellent tyre and I found warm weather grip in excess of the oem Bridgstones on this car - and half the price.
On track they didnt slide at all once it was dry so they need to be hot.

If you want big winter grip, you need to spend big money
Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 AM

Brilliant tyres, I'll be replacing them with the same when the time comes.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jan 21 2011, 11:08 AM
I have them on the 380bhp BMW.

And find them excellent.

Are you comparing like for like, as in similar subzero operating conditions?
How do the cost of these compare to the comparison set you had before?
Did you operate the other set in similar cold winter conditions - its slippery in any vehicle right now!

276 miles is not enough to bed these in during cold winter running either.
They won't get hot enough for a start.

They are an excellent tyre and I found warm weather grip in excess of the oem Bridgstones on this car - and half the price.
On track they didnt slide at all once it was dry so they need to be hot.

If you want big winter grip, you need to spend big money
ditto on a 400bhp M5 and an S2000

to the op - you have a pretty old car - what has been done to it in terms of geo checks and things like suspension mods/replacement?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 AM

I have had falkens for a good 2 years now and used to be on Toyo T1Rs ... and just bought another full set... find them great!! All on stock, not been checked Geo etc.

At first most tyres are a bit slippery, but just keep driving on them and they will improve!! Don't think I will change tyre make unless the Toyos come down in price but then again Falken's don't suffer too badly in the wet either!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Jan 21 2011, 11:03 AM
I found them pretty good. Give them a good thrashing. Also, it might not help much that outside is -6. They are a summer tyre after all

They probably just need some heat in them.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran them on my E46 M3. They weren't as good as the Michellin Pilot Sport 2's but for the price they were excellent. They weren't up to track work, overheating very quickly, and grip was down slightly on the road in the dry, but wet/cold performance was equal, if not better (more predictable) and lets face it, they are a lot cheaper.

If you buy them, don't expect the same performance, but then again you're not paying the same price. You pays your money, you takes your choice as they say. Money no object, you wouldn't buy them, but money generally is an objection.

Quick Reply: Slippery Tyres Falken FK 452