UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Slashed roof

Old 04-22-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nightmare.

If you had told the police the car had an illegal plate on it, they'd have been round in a flash...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tidge
[B]Nightmare.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by Chris Type R

Let's not forget that a fair percentage of immigrants to this country have already completed their tertiary education in their home countries, and come to the UK educated and experienced. The treasury makes a big profit from the labour of these immigrants. Personally, at the moment, I feel as if I'm funding the entire war in Iraq Don't be too quick to dismiss the benifit of migrant labour.
That's democracy Chris.

I respect your view regarding immigration and the war in Iraq but find it at odds with mine.

I'm happy to see carefully controlled numbers of "educated and experienced" immigrants coming here, subject to conditions around accepting our norms and values. This happy little band is not what I'm talking about.

I was very happy to see us go to war in Iraq, took enormous satisfaction from routing the much vaunted Republican Guard and even more from seeing that country liberated from the world's greatest arsewipe. Money well spent IMO.

Nothing to do with a slashed hardtop but interesting all the same.

Old 04-22-2003, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
[B]

I'm happy to see carefully controlled numbers of "educated and experienced" immigrants coming here, subject to conditions around accepting our norms and values.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Isabelle
[B]

Well, I'll try not to hijack this thread, but since this issue has now arisen and I've detected another similar comment in a thread in the "off topic" forum. Here goes:

I'm Singaporean, and have been here for the last 4 years.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Gaddafi,

I personally have not been discriminated against, but have seen and know some of those that have. Especially Asians from the Indian subcontinent. I really feel for them.

Well, that's the main difference (regarding language). Fancy a chinese going to Chinatown in London in 20-30 years, and having to order food in English. I think it's headed that way. That's just the language, but with an overly powering force behing what people perceive as uniquely "British" everything else (including the good parts of other cultures) will inevitably get lost.

Shouldn't progress in any society be based on the collective experiences and cultures of all its members? That's progress isn't it, learning new things, evolving...... not being stuck in the belief that mine is best.

Just my thoughts......
Old 04-22-2003, 05:01 PM

Interesting thoughts guys, have to say I agree with Gaddafi.

Regarding the diversity and language points...it's natural for immigrants to blend in after a generation or so, speaking the natural language of the country and adopting the customs / lifestyle of the land. It's only common sense if you make a country your home.

If I lived in France I'd be learning French, not sitting in some English ghetto with fish and chips and warm beer....when in Rome.1

Thats why we don't see any Viking areas around these parts or French ghettos caused by the Normans that stayed after 1066 This is a good thing IMHO. Not really sure what diversity / cultural differences brings to a country / city, apart from being obstacles to people getting along with each other and being able to live together.

edit: Like the idea of caning wrong doers though like the authorities do in Singapore......god we could do with that bit of culture for people who slash roofs etc

I'd draw the line at eating snails and dogs though
Old 04-23-2003, 12:13 AM

Gaddafi, I have no problem with this going off topic as you say I wanted to vent some anger and you are right that the Police are not to blame but they do have a voice and there position within the community is ideal for them to convey ways through the right channels to harmonise the community. If they do not voice an opinnion then they are effectively agreeing to the principle.
With regard to immigrants the only thing I cannot get around my small head is that if you make the decision to come to the UK surely you must adopt to a certain extent a part of our lifestyle, now this reflects what Issabel said earlier regarding us wanting immigrants to become poorer less succesful versions of ourselves, but why do they colonise in areas and try to set up mini replica areas of the country they decided to leave? Am I being a bit dense here but if I wanted to leave the Uk and live in say Italy I would go there because of the culture and way of life and I would try and intergrate with the Italians, learn their language eat their food.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Colin Killick
but why do they colonise in areas and try to set up mini replica areas of the country they decided to leave? Am I being a bit dense here but if I wanted to leave the Uk and live in say Italy I would go there because of the culture and way of life and I would try and intergrate with the Italians, learn their language eat their food.
Not true, I go to the pub as often as I can get away with , and don't live near any other South Africans. Perhaps immigrants stick together because the UK population is generally remarkably insular.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 AM

Chris, maybe not true relating to South Africans, maybe I should revise my comment and say a small minority.

Quick Reply: Slashed roof