UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Skunk2 Megapower Review

Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Skunk2 Megapower Review

Hello all,

I have had this system on my car 1 week tomorrow, and I wanted to give something back to the community.

I bought the Skunk2 Megapower cat back exhaust for several reason, the first being it is not particularly common (I haven't come across many S2000s with this system) and I like to be different. The second reason for me being persuaded by this exhaust is that it has proven gains (this may be disputed as a marketing ploy). I also liked the style and lastly I liked the noise.

I purchased the system for around £600.

First impressions:

Well packaged, very shiny and seems to be well built.

Quality:

Welding was all very neat, nothing felt weak.

Installation:

The hardest part was taking the OEM system of, this exhaust was very easy to hang is I found to be extremely light compared to the OEM system.

The exhaust sat 100% as it should, no knocks or rattles.

I did hours of research before buying this exhaust, and through that research I found several members complaining about the drone and the noise the exhaust made. I personally though they where being wet and that it couldn't possibly be that bad.

This exhaust is loud, and I mean very loud. the noise it makes outside the car is absolutely fantastic, its deep, throaty and just sounds magnificent. The main issue I found though is the drone inside the cabin. There is very little drone until after 2500rpm and then it is ear shatteringly loud until 5000rpm when the note changes and it becomes more bearably.

I have driven mine daily and it gets to a point where I find myself granny shifting because I just cant cope with the drone, this is not a joke.

Today I went to university which involves 1 hour commute on the motorway. As a precaution I took the bungs (silencers) with me just to see what they where like on the way home.

Doing 70mph at around 3000rpm with this exhaust is enough to give someone a brain hemorrhage. When I finished my lectures I put the bungs in, very easy to fit, slotted right in with no fuss and then tightened down. Driving home the noise was better, I could hear myself think and the exhaust note was beautiful.

Performance wise I cannot comment on OEM manifold and catalytic converter as I have a Hytech manifold and a decat pipe. The car has much more get up and go attitude and the throttle response seems to be dramatically improved. I would like to get this on a dyno to see what the power output is, I feel though that any gains I have encountered by adding this exhaust are mere psychological.

Conclusion:

Great looking system and amazing value for money. I would recommend that if anyone was thinking about buying this exhaust then they take a ride with a member who already has the system. This exhaust is extremely prone to drone in any gear and anytime you touch the throttle. I have always liked loud cars but this system does take loud to a new level.

Exhaust without bungs: 4/10

Exhaust with bungs 6/10

Thanks for reading.

Mike
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting to get someone else's view on the exhaust. Bought mine for pretty much the same reason you did and have been on the car about a month now. I agree the exhaust IS loud!! But to me a good loud. Vtec sounds amazing with the pitch change and low down has a very nice grumble. As for drone, like you say it can be quite bad, but I've noticed it all depends on throttle position, so cruising down the motorway at 70 it can have a bad drone, but change throttle position slightly to maintain the speed, but no drone.

Drive my car on regular basis and have done a few 90mile + trips with the exhaust with no war bleed or head blowing up.

Can't comment on sound with bungs as I've never fitted mine. Personally don't like the look with bungs fitted. Reminds me too much of a 50cc scooter exhaust.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gutted, what you going to try next?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM

I agree, throttle position does effect the drone. Dont get me wrong I am pleased with my purchase and will be driving it bungless during the week, but any commutes I ill be all bunged up for my own sanity!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nick300zx
Gutted, what you going to try next?
Hi Mate,

I dont know if I am honest with you. I would really like to go single however finding a cap for the AP1 bumper that doesnt break my bank is a PITA.

I am going to run the system for a few more weeks and then will consider swapping for something else.

We will see!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM

try a spoon N1... then come back and tell me about LOUD and drone!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I spent ages looking for a drone free exhaust and opted for the tanabe medallion touring. Great exhaust and no drone. No problems passing noise tests either on trackdays

I had an integra type r with a Japspeed special exhaust and it was quite frankly ridiculous, way too loud and it was binned pretty soon after buying it. I think with alot of the aftermarket exhausts you only need to look at the size of the silencers to see how they wont be up to the job. Especially as the S2000 OEM rear boxes are a twin loop type which reduces the noise even further. Unless you spend money on really good high quality silencers then its always going to be abit of a battle to cut the noise down with straight through boxes.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Can you upload a video of with / without bungs please?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 AM

Of course I can. I will try and do it today when I have a moment.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike, my T1R and chillicoke exhaust cap are the best option by far IMO.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 Megapower Review