UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Skid .... Bang :)

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Skid .... Bang :)

That's my passenger tyre mark on the grass going into the hedge on the left taking avoiding action ( stationery at this point ) and the skid marks coming towards me tell the rest of the story.

I'd guess he was doing about 45 to 50 when he saw me and realised he had nowhere to go. Total lock up on his part and going too quick to react properly and also due to being 17 and only just passed his test, no skill to react properly.

That sudden direction change is his moving car bouncing off my stopped one.

If he'd managed to control the skid and get over another foot ... he'd have missed me totally.

So ... took him straight to my local friendly bodyshop, £250 cash and i'll have a straight wing, fixed crack in the bumper, respray of bumper and wing and a front wheel powdercoated. Tracking is fine, wheel isn't bent, just scuffed and headlight brackets aren't snapped. None of the shut lines are out of place at the rear of the front wing or at the top of the wing next to the bonnet so a lucky escape really.

I'm on holiday, i don't need the aggravation or expense of dealing with insurance and at 17 .. he certainly doesn't. I know what insurance are like, it would have ended up going 50/50 and it would have cost me a chunk of excess, easier to be pleasant, shake hands and deal with it sensibly and keep it all in perspective.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm sure he appreciated it, big time! And I'm sure you may not have been so understanding if he had not been so (presumably) apologetic and accommodating?

Long old skid though, and no ABS by the look of it.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 AM

His insurance on a 1.0 Corsa was £2500 and a £1000 excess TPFT. Based on the damage ( i had a good look to make sure what was and wasn't bent and a quick drive up the road to test the tracking / steering etc) and I'm a reasonable chap, it's the easiest way to deal with it. I'll get the car back repaired on Sunday afternoon No ABS no, as you come over the bridge hump it loses you enough traction for that split second you need it, couple that with a bit too much speed and that's what happens. To be fair he was instantly on the brakes and it could have been LOTS worse.

That and the fact we've all been there, everyone deserves to be cut a bit of slack.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet the skids marks in your pants are of equal size !
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM

It's that almost comical slow motion thing as it happens .... literally a passenger. Hold on and wait to see what explodes in a shower of paint and plastic around you
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this, wow bet he was chuffed. £250 sounds cheap mate?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Cash in hand 'weekend job' AJ - there's no broken tabs on the bumper,wing or the arch liner, it's just a bend in the wing and a split in the bumper which my mate said is an easy fix - he's a proper panel beater and there's a powdercoater next door to him so that's the wheel sorted.

Worst i'll need are some trim clips ( of which i have plenty spares) and a polish but then it hasn't been washed since Christmas so it needed that anyway.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester
His insurance on a 1.0 Corsa was £2500 and a £1000 excess TPFT.
Assuming his insurance know about all the tat on his car and would honour the insurance
By the length of those skids marks he was moveing fast and didn't react too quickly
Glad you are OK and the damage is easily fixable.
I think the "cash" route probably saved you alot more hassle than you realise
I hope he learns a lesson from it
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1336663003' post='21686157
His insurance on a 1.0 Corsa was £2500 and a £1000 excess TPFT.
Assuming his insurance know about all the tat on his car and would honour the insurance
By the length of those skids marks he was moveing fast and didn't react too quickly
Glad you are OK and the damage is easily fixable.
I think the "cash" route probably saved you alot more hassle than you realise
I hope he learns a lesson from it
Those are my feelings too Mikey - i went straight to my mate and we discussed the 'options' and cash in hand without involving insurance is just far less fraught with potential issues AND time. This way i'll have it back and nice and shiny for Sunday afternoon. He didn't stop skidding until a good car length after bouncing off me

The length of the skid is largely because he lifted off the ground as he tried to apply the brakes coming over the hump in the road, by then it was locked up and just sliding under momentum. It had been raining, the road was damp and that section of road doesn't have the best tarmac quality etc etc etc.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Shame as i know you look after your car, he is a very lucky boy, i'm paying double that for the back end of mine to be painted with a small bumper repair

Quick Reply: Skid .... Bang :)