UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Silverstone paint match on bumper respray

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstone paint match on bumper respray

Just went to pick up my S after it had it's front bumper replaced. The spray job was good quality in general, but the colour doesnt match when viewed from certain angles. Ive rejected the repair of course (its an insurance job), cos im pretty anal about that kind of thing.

Im guessing silverstone is quite hard to match, but its almost lke its completely the wrong paint. The guy said that he got it from Honda, but i believe ive heard somewhere that the shade has changed a few times in the past. Is this true? Maybe its the wrong paint?

Guess i'll just have to keep driving that 08 Berlina Black courtesy car for a while.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 AM

paint is always a nightmare to match... silver especially.. im 'not happy ' with the job they did on my Berlina but was told ' its the best they can do ' and wont re do it !
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 AM

TBH, the only way it's ever going to be right is if it gets a blow over. Perhaps it is worth suggesting?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I know there was a Long Beach Blue NSX like that; they chased a minor front bumper respray right over the whole car! Pearlescents can be a bugger to lose.

Silver and red are also awful colours.

Honestly though; if a sprayer cannot lose Berlina black (which does fade to Berlina Brown over time, admittedly) he ought to go kill himself.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrueman,Mar 27 2009, 09:36 AM
Just went to pick up my S after it had it's front bumper replaced. The spray job was good quality in general, but the colour doesnt match when viewed from certain angles. Ive rejected the repair of course (its an insurance job), cos im pretty anal about that kind of thing.

Im guessing silverstone is quite hard to match, but its almost lke its completely the wrong paint. The guy said that he got it from Honda, but i believe ive heard somewhere that the shade has changed a few times in the past. Is this true? Maybe its the wrong paint?

Guess i'll just have to keep driving that 08 Berlina Black courtesy car for a while.
Always a bugger to match. Is it worth getting the rest of the car detailed to resort the paint back to it's former glory and maybe it will look less obvious?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 AM

I had my silverstone bumper repsrayed when I forst bought the car, I had the bonnet and wings done too as they obviously had to blend into them. You cannot see any difference at all in colour.

I've since had some Veilside ground effect skirts sprayed by the same company, they took the paint code from the car, and I collected them a week later. The match is still perfect.

All down to the skill of the painter me thinks.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pistonbroke,Mar 27 2009, 11:14 AM
Definitely!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by pistonbroke,Mar 27 2009, 11:14 AM
I had my silverstone bumper repsrayed when I forst bought the car, I had the bonnet and wings done too as they obviously had to blend into them. You cannot see any difference at all in colour.

I've since had some Veilside ground effect skirts sprayed by the same company, they took the paint code from the car, and I collected them a week later. The match is still perfect.

PB who do you use? I need to get my boot and rear bumper done and i think your near me in the south east so it would be good to know. cheers
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 AM

Well its definitely not been blended in at all.

As for the detailing idea, maybe its the bumper that needs the 6 or so coats of zaino that i put on the rest of the car!!. I guess its possible that the amount of Zaino may be deepening the colour of the other panels too much.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 AM

Paint generally is hard to match if the car isnt new or nearly new....

However, Silverstone is an excellent paint to match and one of the best, so I am told.

I would expect a slight differentiation, if your car is a 2003 model, but it shouldnt be that noticable...

Quick Reply: Silverstone paint match on bumper respray