UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Silverstone 2002 is GO! GO! GO!

Old 12-14-2001, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Silverstone 2002 is GO! GO! GO!

(as Murray would say!!!)

Yee-har!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/mot...000/1710411.stm
Old 12-14-2001, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had a doubt we would keep the GP
Old 12-14-2001, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:16 AM

Excellent news !!
Old 12-14-2001, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry ianl - I did not mean to step on your news/thread!
I was just so happy to read the news I did not notice somebody else had already done so, it is early in the morning here!
Old 12-14-2001, 04:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
[B]Sorry ianl - I did not mean to step on your news/thread!
Old 12-14-2001, 04:11 AM

Maybe we should lose the GP for a year then Silverstone would probably start looking after it's customers. Great circuit to race around, absolutly appalling to go to and spectate from.If you have been to any other F1 races around the world you will know what i mean.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by dwrights
Maybe we should lose the GP for a year then Silverstone would probably start looking after it's customers. Great circuit to race around, absolutly appalling to go to and spectate from.If you have been to any other F1 races around the world you will know what i mean.
I am sure you are right David. But it is people like me (I am afraid) who have grown up going to GP's at Silverstone and Brands (I have spent hours in car parks at Brands as well!!) have come to accept the access problems as all part of the week-end event - and have developed strategies to live with - and ultimately enjoy - them. I arrive at the circuit either Thursday evening of early Friday morning, set up camp and do not leave until late on Sunday. This has become a ritual which I look forward too and enjoy - it is a great way to get to meet and know other F1 fans from both the UK and, most interestingly for me, abroad. The atmosphere builds through the weekend, and my stroll around the circuit on Saturday evening - peering over the pit wall from the start / finish grid to get a glimse of, and listen to, what is going on in the garages is a much anticipated event! I love being in the Circuit 1st thing on Sunday morning (we're talking 5:00am here guys!). Hearing an F1 engine bark to life whilst the morning mists are still clearing is magical!

I have been to races elsewhere both in Europe (and especially the States) - so I know how a motor race can be run like a normal sporting event without all the chaos, fuss and bother, I have also attended other sporting events with similarly large crowds, which again, manage (in the main) to avoid Silverstones habitual traffic mayhem.

I cant believe the attendance on race day next year is down to 60000 - in the halcyon days on 'Mansell Mania' there were 150000+ in there - what an atmosphere!

You are also right to say that Silverstone is not a great place to watch F1 cars. You are a long way from the cars (except at the silly twiddly Luffield complex) and can only ever see a fraction of the track. Oh, and the races have (of late) been pretty un-eventful. It pales in comparison to Spa, for example. But, it is all we have got - so I for one would hate to loose it

Now none of this is to say if I was offered the full VIP package I wouldnt go for that and fully enjoy myself - its just that this is the way I have been doing it for over 20 years. It is this love of F1 which drew me to Honda - and ultimately my S2000................
Old 12-14-2001, 08:15 AM

Great news
Old 12-14-2001, 02:10 PM

Ian,

you know what going to Silverstone is all about
I'm sure you and junior will have a great race next year

Quick Reply: Silverstone 2002 is GO! GO! GO!