UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Do you think that the 70mph speed limit on motorways should be increased?
Yes
88.89%
No
11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Should the speed limit be raised on motorways?

Old 11-04-2004, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Nov 4 2004, 12:42 PM
lane discipline is so lacking........imagine approaching someone at a closing speed of 70/80mph and the numpty pulls out in front of you?
Yes true, just fit your car with a nudge bar
Old 11-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 4 2004, 11:39 AM
No real surprises on a sports car forum, but I wonder how such a poll would far amongst the Ford Focus and Megane Scenic brigade.
Who Cares????????

i'm in 2 minds here, the 50mph limit around the west side of the M25 is a pain, BUT it does reduce the stop/go and therefore the chances of rear ending's which is a good thing.
However on the whole i think that 70mph is to low, 90mph or nothing would be better.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:10 AM

I voted no. As the question is too wide ranging.

I think we should have in place variable speed limits
Old 11-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EddandSam,Nov 4 2004, 01:30 PM
The motorway speed limits were introduced in the 60s and when first opened there was no limit until the police clocked an AC Cobra at 196mph!! ooops!
I thought it was a Jaguar E-Type at 150mph...

I don't think the police clocked anyone, and that it was just through press reports and word of mouth that the police got wind of it. Why would the cops be clocking peoples speeds on the motorway if there were no speed limits. I also doubt the police would've had access to such equipment in the 60's.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Nov 4 2004, 01:10 PM

You bore, I want to drive as fast as I can
Old 11-04-2004, 04:29 AM

Doesn't matter what we think, in order for scamera partnerships to stay in business they have to be acceptable to the general populace. To do this, they have to equate speed with instant death.

Raising the speed limit would send out a message that speed isn't so bad as the spin doctors would have us believe and that would require the government telling us why they felt that a higher speed limit on the roads was justifiable when speed kills doesn't it?

As to the question of Germany, they are seriously reconsidering their policies after several accidents involving small cars being punted off the Autobahns bu 155mph Luxobarcges.
Personally I favour the French system, one limit for wet, another for dry.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 4 2004, 01:18 PM
I also doubt the police would've had access to such equipment in the 60's.
Yes they did-VASCAR

Did you know: VASCAR is not very accurate, apparently the police have to estimate the distance;

well I didn't know anyway
Old 11-04-2004, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamies2k,Nov 4 2004, 01:19 PM
You bore, I want to drive as fast as I can
you probably do anyway
Old 11-04-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Nov 4 2004, 01:10 PM

totally.

... but need to add that you should have to pass a test to be allowed to use the m-ways and also we MUST have retesting every 2-5 years so that people who have been driving for years and think they are great (but who aren't) can learn how to drive correctly.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:45 AM

As far as I am aware there is no minimum speed limit on motorways. Vehicles that have a maximum speed of less than 30mph are prohibited from using the motorway. Not the same thing!

There are different speed limits. Large goods vehicles, coaches and vehicles drawing trailers are limited to 60mph! They are also not allowed in lane 3.

In my experience/stereotyping, drivers of "performance" vehicles generally have their wits about them and are "better" at avoiding collisions than the average British motorist. You don't get insurance for cars such as the "S" if you have a history of running into things.

The ABM finds it difficult enough dealing with the current speed differentials between vehicles on motorways without increasing the differential.

The problem is not the speeding driver but the dork who glances in his mirror when travelling at 50 in the middle lane holding lorries up when he decides to overtake. He/she sees a gap of 20 yards and pulls out without gauging that the image in his mirror is doing 85. Who gets the blame?

The Germans have always had derestricted autobahns and so the population has grown up with the "system". However I am told that many slip roads have not been lengthened since 1939 to take into account increasing vehicle speeds. Apparently this can make joining and especially leaving the motorway interesting.

The French system of 80mph down to 70 when you have your wipers on works fine for them because their motorways are tolled, have less junctions and less traffic.
It helps that users generally have somewhere to go and are not "hanging about" unlike the UK where many vehicles are merely junction hopping.

Non toll Motorways around French cities where traffic density is greater have the limit set at 70mph or less.

It would be interesting to see if collisions would increase if our toll motorway had its speed limit raised to French standards.

Quick Reply: Should the speed limit be raised on motorways?