UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Should S2KUK Represent it's members who own older cars by speaking to Honda about the issue
Yes - S2kuk should use it's influence and money to research this issue for the good of it's members
95.40%
No - It's a waste of time
4.60%
I own a new car I so don't care
0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Should S2KUK speak to Honda about Suspension

Old 01-25-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Siezed

Old 01-25-2006, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jan 25 2006, 08:29 AM
Euan, newer owners should still be worried, my first one was done at 4 years old. AFAIK the extended warranty company sees them as being wear and tear items which is ridiculous on a car of that age.
Depends on what you mean as new though - as I said above, this issue is one of the reasons why I don't plan to keep the car after the OEM warranty expires.

Fortunately I can afford to take this view at the moment.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A question to those people who have had their bolts greased ...

Did you take your car into the dealer and demand they greased the bolts, or did you take it in claiming the bolts had seized and let them identify the solution?

I mention this only as, non-techy that I am, I understand greasing parts can often serve to attract muck and can therefore cause more problems than it solves. It seems to me the key point is that, given Honda don't grease these parts at the factory, do they not do so as a result of an oversight or is there a good technical reason for not greasing them? I think we need to focus on the seizure problem (seemingly widespread) rather than on the adoption of our "own" solutions.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Ironically, you want to keep the grease away from the rubber bits, since it will perish them!

I assume Honda took the view that greasing could be avoided, since the bushes and balljoints are wear-prone items, especially on shit roads.

They probably figured they'd all be bolloxed at about the same time, but it hasn't worked out like that.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Jan 25 2006, 11:35 AM
If it was an approach to Honda in Japan, I might agree. But it's not - it's to Honda UK.

s2ki is American-owned and run. It has no "physical" existence - it's just an internet forum. S2KUK is both a UK organisation and is something more tangible.

To the extent that anyone is going to be able to get something done about it (and I am not optimistic that this will get anywhere with Honda), it seems to me to make more sense for the UK Owners Club to be the medium.
The real question is how often should adjustments be made in service? I take the point that enthusiasts want to check and adjust the car's suspension geometry every so often but, I'll bet, that the vast majority of S2000 users never consider this or would even notice the effect of wrong tyres/poor set-up and this probably makes us a very small voice. I'll also bet this isn't the only marque where road salt corrodes adjustable components and that the motor industry regards this situation as fully acceptable. As an example, I remember years ago when exhaust manifolds and flanges used to have brass nuts fitted by car factories so that exhausts could be replaced more easily in service. Not now though, if it costs even 1 pence more in production and only benefits long term maintenance its not even considered

So I doubt Honda (UK) will do anything about it. I would agree it should be the owner's club that take this up with them though and, if HUK should fail to agree to do anything about the problem, perhaps it would be possible for the owner's club to arrange a discount on the cost of these parts (either through Honda or a factors) to benefit the club members and provide a further reason for non-members to join?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 AM

Not much response from the S2kuk committee, I'm sure at least one of them has been online today
Old 01-25-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jan 25 2006, 05:05 PM
Not much response from the S2kuk committee, I'm sure at least one of them has been online today
If that's aimed at me, I already indicated in my post replying to Neil that I don't think it will ultimately us get anywhere - but for my part, I certainly can't see we have anything to lose by doing so.

But it's Ian who has the contacts at Honda. I didn't go to the Institute visit so didn't meet either of the people who have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I didn't feel I could add anything to the debate in terms of whom we could write to or how it is likely to be received.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am but a humble committee member ... but I'll pm Budgie now.

(Patience is clearly in short supply in the NE ... . Perhaps I should prefix all my posts with "On behalf of the Committee", in a Wheeltappers stylee)
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Jan 25 2006, 11:35 AM
it seems to me to make more sense for the UK Owners Club to be the medium.
I agree, particulary as we already have a link with them.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 AM

I'm not having a go at anyone, this will quickly be forgotten if we don't push on with it.

I wasn't expecting immediate action, just a confirmation that it will be high on the S2KUK agenda for their next meeting.

(You have to remember that I was a committee member when I first suggested S2kuk tackled it, and I did feck all about it - so don't take the comment as criticism)

Keep up the good work guys

Quick Reply: Should S2KUK speak to Honda about Suspension