UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Should the S have traction control?

Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The reason people get lift-off oversteer is probably as a panic reaction to oversteer induced by too much throttle for the conditions in the first place."

So what should you do?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:53 AM

I bought this car because it didn't have TC!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by baptistsan
"The reason people get lift-off oversteer is probably as a panic reaction to oversteer induced by too much throttle for the conditions in the first place."

So what should you do?
Drive with an egg between foot & throttle.

Go see Don Palmer or equivalent.

Seriously, keeping some power on and letting the car sort itself out it the best option, but it's a question of balance.

If the back end is out, lifting off completely and snapping the throttle shut is likely not to be very helpful.

Smoothness & not irritating the car with excessive corrections is the game plan.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
Traction control wouldn't help when in many of the accident situations people seem to come across in the S2000.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 PM

If it were on the options list (and switchable) I guess I would have it as it would help resale value.

I had a 330i once also and drove it far too fast 'cos all these flashing lights kept helping out. One of the main reasons I wanted a propoer sports car was so that I would start to respect speed more
Old 10-27-2003, 04:05 PM

Definitely not - The whole purpose of this car (to me anyway) was as close as possible to a car that allowed total control to the driver. The only "aid" I wanted was ABS.
If you need a car with electronic gizmo's buy a BMW there full of them but they don't make for a better driver, just lull you into a false sense of security.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by baptistsan

So what should you do?
The flippant answer is "Don't get into the situation in the first place" - but you already knew that, right?

The better answer is more complicated, learn how the car reacts to input, how to balance the car, what effect you can have on a car which is at it's limits of adhesion, where those limits are etc. etc.
The first time you learn about them doesn't want to be when you're mid-bend and sliding so get some airfield time, either an airfield day, Academy day or a Don Palmer day, have someone show you the limits and learn what you can do and more importantly what you can't do.

There is no substitution for doing it, all the postings in the world on car control won't help when you realise in that split second you're in a situation you have never been in before.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:51 PM

I agree with some of the above comments about traction control being fairly useless, but I do think that the S and possibly all cars should have a switchable stability system e.g. ESP. I don't need ESP in the dry as most of us wouldn't. But since my car is my daily drive I would love to have the added assurance of ESP in those very wet and icey days.

I don't think it is any sort of safeguard against accidents and the best measure is to drive to the conditions, but in the S this is still a risky business. Even driving *safely* can provoke the odd unwanted moment, take the example of diesel spills. If your car was independtly braking individual wheels to sort slide you just got into to help you out, can this be seen as a bad thing????

Just my 2p
Old 10-28-2003, 01:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moff
I agree with some of the above comments about traction control being fairly useless, but I do think that the S and possibly all cars should have a switchable
Old 10-28-2003, 04:18 AM

My everyday is a Audi S3.
First thing i do everytime i get in is switch the ESP off, Even asked Audi if it could defualt OFF instead of on..... NO

It almost killed me once. Pulling out of a petrol Station, BIG truck coming up the road, lot-o-traffic behind it. Pull out BOOT it so the truck does not have to slow at all.
The dam system cuts all power!!! if it was not for the quick thinking of the truck driver he would have driven over me!!!

Caught up with him and the next traffic lights and apologized and explained. Since then never have it on.

TC on the S2000 = No

Quick Reply: Should the S have traction control?