UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Should I sell my S?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my S?

Before you read on I promise this has nothing to do with demographic of ownership

Basically, I've owned the car for 3 years after purchasing from another forum member through this site. I've absolutely loved owning the car, and it's never given me any grief and is still pretty much in as good condition as the day I bought it.

However, having just re-taxed it and shortly due to reinsure for another 12 months, it dawned on me just how rarely I drive the thing.

Due mainly to international travel, a pretty grim knee injury and the crappy British summer time, I reckon I covered under 3k miles in it last year

My wife and I have no kids and she has a new-ish car which suits all our practical needs. Although she often chooses not to, she could theoretically walk to work and my commute is only 8 miles or so when I'm in at the office. If it's raining, I generally always tend to take her car and drop her off en route.

It's not an issue of affordability - I own the car outright and the running costs don't cause me any concern. However at just over 30k miles and in such good condition, I reckon now might be a good time to sell it and spend the money on the house instead.

In short, we really don't need two cars.

I was all up for putting it up for sale the other day, until I had the chance to take her out for her first good blast of the year. Which completely changed my mind again!

And sad though it sounds, the thing I love most about the S is the vanity aspect. It's always ticked the boxes for me in terms of looks and it's a rare enough car to truly stand out from the rest. Despite being some 12 years old in terms of design, the S2000 is still a head-turner. And for someone as vain as me, that's a good thing

So, I'm completely undecided.

Any advice?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 AM

I think you should keep it dude.
I can't see it depreciating much more due to the amount that get written off!
Keeping the mile sdown is just a bonus but like you said, if money isn't an issue and you enjoy it why get rid of it?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

Lock it away for a few days out of sight and then when there is sunny day that would suit the S drive your wife's car, if you don't miss the S then there is your answer.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

No! you will miss it like crazy!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Only sell it if you plan to buy something else, particularly something more impractical.

If you don't need to then dont imo. You have just done the tax and insurance, which will be a distant memory in a few weeks

The Doris and I only "need" one car, but I insist on having a minimum of two!

Plan a euro trip or something
Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Not enough motive to sell in my opinion - therefore if you sold you would inevitably have a disproportionate level of regret!

Keep it and make a resolution to use it more often. I like MB's suggestion of a Euro Hoon.

I only sold mine because circumstances forced my hand, and don't regret it per se, but do miss it from time to time.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said you need to try and "get back in to it"
If that fails sell it!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Keep it, it's only worth £10k, my wife doesn't drive and I have a fat Merc CLS and the S, I never "want" to go for a drive in the CLS but when the sun's out there's never a doubt about the S.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Merc and going for a family hatch, but if I change I'd like to swop the S and I'm all for Mikey's solution.....but after that I'm stumped!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't sell it now either as soft tops appreciate in Spring/Summer.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the roof down on mine for the first time in 3 months today

Quick Reply: Should I sell my S?