UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Should I get a beater or not?

Old 10-17-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a beater or not?

Beater or not
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 AM

Difficult to say what difference the saving on the miles on the S would be - the car is fairly mileage sensitive in terms of used values, but your beater could easily end up costing more than a few hundred
Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Its not that I've considered whether it would make sense in the summer or not its just that faced with the choice I'd seldom drive the beater in the summer
Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 AM
JMP

I'm faced with a not dissimilar problem at the moment.
At the mo I cycle to the station, get the train to work and vice versa.
Winter approaches, I'm getting fed up with the train etc.
Next year I'm in Brum all yr too so would like a semi decent beater to drive to and fro rather than risk the S in Brum car parks and putting boring M'way miles on it.
If you plan to keep the S long-term then a beater is the way to go.
Is your commute frequently snow ridden in the winter. I had to leave the S abandoned at work one year and get the bus back because it wouldn't go on the snow at all
Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't bother. Not for that short a journey.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 AM

I have a 20 mile round trip commute and I bought one. Its for the days when I can't be arsed, the weather is shite or I need to abandon it somewhere (Gatwick parking for trips to London etc.)

I've found I use if much more than I thought I would...people laugh at it (its a Fiat Seicento Sporting) but it cost me bugger all as its stolen recovered, it rarely needs fuel, I service it myself and I can drive it like a looney while still keeping within the speed limits.

I now drive the S when I want to as opposed to 'having' to take it on bad mornings like this one.

Its our 3rd car butI love it
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM

Even though I don't pick my S up until the end of the month, I've decided to keep my current car (Saxo VTR) as a beater. Original plans were to sell the Saxo and keep the S as a daily drive. Less to do with keeping the miles of the S and more to do with keeping the day to day bumps/scratches at bay. The car park where I work isn't great and there's always some muppet who decides to open their door onto my car. Having a banger for the tip/supermarket was also on my mind. Of course I may reconsider once the expense of keeping 2 cars hits home. At least Admiral allowed me to use NCB on both - another consideration to bear in mind.

Can't go wrong with a Saxo for a beater!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:51 AM

If you want a beater (and i'd strongly suggest it for the savings you mentioned!) - I have a rather lovely runabout for sale at the moment!

1994 Peugeot 106 1.4 XND -
Old 10-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley,Oct 17 2005, 04:23 PM
I've found I use if much more than I thought I would...people laugh at it (its a Fiat Seicento Sporting) but it cost me bugger all as its stolen recovered, it rarely needs fuel, I service it myself and I can drive it like a looney while still keeping within the speed limits.
Dude, I had a 1.1 Fiesta Firefly worth
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM

I did this as I thought I would save money but it doesn't always work out like that. I bought a 400 quid pug 205. spent 440 quid insuring it and over 700 quid in first year repairing things that went wrong so it cost me more to run that the Honda.

Funny now that everyone wants to buy it off me as nothing else can go wrong with it so its a good car.

I would spend a little more if I did it again, chances of finding a 400 quid car with no problems is rare. Unless you bought mine now

Quick Reply: Should I get a beater or not?