UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Should i change to the S2000

Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't give a balanced opinion as I've never had a Civic, but if you like V-Tec engines, I can't see how the S2000 could be disappointment.

As for the suspension, if it's not to your taste (my 05 model is definitely too soft), just allow
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the only car I've ever owned that I just go for a drive in, just for the fun of it - went out tonight and nearly ran out of petrol, just having too much fun on the twisties Take a test drive, then get your credit card out...... hehe
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have driven one years ago in my yaris t sport days, IMO it was a bloody nippy good handling car but i cant really compare it to the S as i had the yaris back then. Its FWD vs RWD its obviosuly going to be easier to drive it faster everywher with not as much skill. It seemed to be raw and not as easy to drive slowly? and i think its similar technology etc thats in the S?

The lads who i drove had some spoon gear in it couldnt tell you exactly what, think it was a spoon ECU and a spoon exhaust plus something else.

Actually i was debating to go with either a toyota glanza or an ek9 but the insurance was a bit high for me.

Best to PM 'Hypersonik' on here as he's had civics etc in the past.

IMO it would be a step up from the ek9.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Assuming the CTR is anything like my ITR, you will find an early S2000 to be similar in terms of rawness.

My ITR is more fun to drive quickly down a B-road but the S2000 is a challenge and my preferred car for the whole package - looks/build quality/RWD/convertible.

I don't care to drive mine in the winter though, it's not suited to greasy slippery roads. The later 04> cars are better in this respect.

BTW If the roof on a pre 2002 hasn't been changed for a glass screen one (a lot of them have now), the rear window will be getting brittle. I'd be aware that a new roof or rear screen may be needed in the near future
Old 07-04-2009, 04:19 AM
J_D

MY99 - MY01 are defo the rawest more track focussed models, so you will feel right at home behind the wheel. MY04 onwards are very soft thats why most newer spec owners change to coilovers.

The S2000 is alot quicker than ek9 in a straight line but about the same speed around corners, just more involvment and challenging keeping the back end in check. The only time the S is slower is in the wet, there just a bit of a handful If you dont have a smooth driving style.

Hope this helps
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 AM

Don't get one. They're rubbish. Get an MGTF.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi,

I've driven an EK9 and see my sig.

EP3s and FN2s and DC5s just aren't as much hooligan fun as the real Honda Civics and DC2s of yore, so I understand your predicament. The EK9 is an awful lot of fun and you really can hurl them down the road like you stole it.

The S2000 is such a different car. It's far less tolerant of the driver's solecisms and is much more rewarding when you get it spot on and intolerant when you get it wrong.

The only way to tell is, like they say, extended test drives of the S2000. A properly set-up one too. See if it's you or not.

I'd say keep both...
Old 07-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Jul 4 2009, 12:43 PM
Don't get one. They're rubbish. Get an MGTF.

Yeah. Wish I'd known that eight years ago!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Yes i used to own an ek9 the ek9 nick drove was my one infact

I Love my s2k however i still have a soft spot for my ek9 it's much more agressive the S is faster but not as raw.

again FF is much easier to drive the S can be hard to predict around corners compared to the S

I love them both too much but ek9 vs s2k I just can't tell you they are 2 different breeds of cars in my opinion try to own both like I did.

I swapped my ek9 for an evo5 what a silly mistake to make
Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test drive the S and see what you think (like others have said)

the earlier ones did come with plastic rear screens, but if you find one thats been retro-fitted with glass, then thats highly desirable (my 00 JDM was retro-fitted). also, the earlier ones are a bit more agressive than the later ones... from what i've read, harder VTEC kick-in, and a tad firmer ride...
that said, the later ones with revised supension and 17" are easier to handle.

no 1st hand experience on the above - mearly what i've read on these fourms...

Quick Reply: Should i change to the S2000