UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Shocks, clutch & general 'renews' advice

Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shocks, clutch & general 'renews' advice

So my car is starting to get a bit old and raggy around the edges, and if I'm to keep it, I need to start investing some money into it...

One of the things that I was thinking about is shocks.
Ideally, when should these be replaced? What sort of life is expected from them?

I currently have 132k Miles on the clock... Original clutch, Original shocks etc..

I know my rear bushes are starting to show some signs of wear, so that's certainly going to be high up on the list of things to replace, however, should I also be thinking about the shocks too? There doesn't seem to be any excessive bounce in the suspension, but then, I have nothing to compare against other than the wife's Prius!

If shocks should be replaced, should I be looking at aftermarket ones? I'm not likely to need super adjustable ones, but any that would improve handling etc are all an added bonus.

How long would you expect a standard clutch to last? I never burnout etc, so usage would be average. Biting point is high, but not terrible..

Any other recommendations for a car my age to keep it running nicely? TGM mentioned it was running a bit rich (exhaust tips are always black) but expected of an engine my age.. anything that can be done there? I plan to take the throttle body off at some point and give that a clean too...
Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to tag along with this post because I'm in a similar boat at 188k miles. I bought the car in the fall last year and the dealer who picked it up from auction knew very little about what had been done and not done recently to it. It is completely stock and in surprisingly good shape for the mileage so I don't have any doubts it was well maintained. Much like the OP, I have nothing to compare the clutch and ride quality to besides my Silverado and my wife's Equinox. Any info or signs when the clutch is due to be replaced and/or the shocks would be appreciated here too.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Here is my old thread which runs in a similar vein.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/949...d-you-replace/
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Gah, it lost half my post. Will repost later. Probably nothing that the above post doesn't cover.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Here is my old thread which runs in a similar vein.

https://www.s2ki.com/...ld-you-replace/
Cheers buddy. I'll have a read through!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 AM

Just another question...
What about replacing brake lines? Should this be done? I was reading a thread by Billman about replacing these and some failures which was the cause of him to look;

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/937...d-brake-lines/

PistonHeads were saying that most cars should probably have them replaced after 10 years or so too..
Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my S2000 (Y reg 2001) last summer and immediately replaced the fuel lines and brake lines due to corrosion. The fuel lines were bulging along the chassis legs. If the clutch doesn't slip then I wouldn't bother replacing it just yet.

I find Honda standard shocks to be pretty hard wearing, mine have covered 125k and still feel perfect, even during trackdays, I've never felt the need to lower or buy coilovers.. Yet! I've upgraded the front ARB to Powerflex polybush and plan on doing the arms soon. Turns great and feels solid.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

If you keep an eye out, you'll find some low mileage oem shocks for £150. Dampers wear and springs get compression set (and get very slightly softer). After that mileage, I'd have thought you'd notice the difference. Half decent coilovers start at £5-700 if you fancy an upgrade.

Clutch doesn't need changing if it's not slipping, but changing before it slips means you'll generally not need a flywheel, but if it slips too much and overheats the flywheel, you may do. I just replaced mine after 87k easy miles and it had about 1/3 of its life left. So I suspect yours isn't too far off. If you can guarantee you won't have to drive it once it starts slipping, there's no reason to change it early.