UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Shock BMW Announcement

Old 02-27-2006, 02:25 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jinjer,Feb 27 2006, 10:56 AM
Am I the only one who is fed up with BMW drivers?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Banned

I think BMW drivers are funny. They do seem to think they own the motorways, but they seem to be quite scared of the S. I've seem quite a few 3-series on the roads hacking about trying to bully people into moving over, then when they see the S in their mirror they pull in obediently with their tail between their legs.

I do remember seeing a catagory of cars/drivers and the S was rightly the only car that "BMW Man" seems to fear. M3 drivers don't have anything to prove (the root of generic BMW Man's behaviour), and therefor don't seem to even bother.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Banned

Should I limit myself to 'red-top style' text of no more than 6 words per sentence in future?
No, but do try and make a joke funny.

Wasn't supposed to have a punchline.
What was it supposed to have then?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 AM

I diagnose an Acute sense of humour failure on both sides.

Prescription, chill pills all round.

Save your vitriol for the VAG TDi drivers
Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 AM

Can't say I notice the BMW stereotypes these days, all those drivers seem to be in Audis now.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:10 AM

The problem, to a large extent, lies with those that hold the stereotypes.
I agree with this assumption. My girlfriend told me I was indeed being paranoid so I told her to disprove my theory (she's a scientist ). That was about 2 weeks ago.

Since then whenever we've been travelling together she would keep an eye on traffic coming toward us to spot which drivers were on phones.

2 weeks passed and the evidence strengthened my case.

Statistically you could say that we see more BMW driver on phones because they are a popular car and BMWs make up a significant proportion of the sample set. This is true. However, the proportion of drivers WITHIN the BMW set that use their phones when driving is enormous - and vastly 'superior' compared to any other subset.

The test was 'completed' on Sunday when a BMW driver came out of a junction on the nearside and, after ABS etc., missed my girlfriend's door by about a foot. He then, still using his phone, carried on with his attempt to turn right, mounting the curb as he did so. And it wasn't as though he was some 19 year old that had borrowed his Dad's beamer - he looked 30-something and 'respectable'.

I would love to see some 'real' stats about what proportion of accidents involve / were caused by which cars. We see endless lists of WHO was driving - hence insurance is more expensive for certain segments of our population (i.e. 17 year old 'men').
Old 02-27-2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jinjer,Feb 27 2006, 01:10 PM
However, the proportion of drivers WITHIN the BMW set that use their phones when driving is enormous - and vastly 'superior' compared to any other subset.
What was the proportion with Audis? Merc? Mondeos? Or did you compare bmw's against the rest?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 AM

What was the proportion with Audis? Merc? Mondeos? Or did you compare bmw's against the rest?
My girlfriend was competent enough to differentiate BMWs from 'the rest', but anything more complicated would have been difficult
Old 02-27-2006, 04:37 AM

You can see how the 'scientific study' would still be skewed though. For example, a typical bmw 3 series driver is likely to have the car for business, be a rep of sorts etc. and is required to be 'contactable' whilst on the road. An old bloke in a nissan micra isn't. So you'd need to compare bmw 3 series drivers against other repmobiles to get a clearer picture.

As for it being an 'excuse' to be on the phone, that's crap IMO. If you need to use the phone a lot whilst on the road, fit a hands free or get your company to pay for it.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:44 AM

A funny observation by 'Sniff Petrol' for 1-series drivers

Quick Reply: Shock BMW Announcement