UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sheered Valve Cover Bolt

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheered Valve Cover Bolt

So, I am putting my valve cover back on, chuck the 5 bolts in, and hand do them up some.

Grab my small ratchet and gently nip up 4 bolts, connect with the fifth and before I even feel it get anywhere near starting to nip up it just feels like it's only just been put in and spinning "Crap..."

Yup, sheered, like butter. I am a pretty careful person when it comes to stuff like this and I cannot believe it happened, I am no master mechanic - but I am not totally oblivious to these things either. I would understand it if I was hanging off the ratchet but I literally did not even feel the thing get anywhere near tight.

Left with the stud section in the block, luckily it sheered before I got any real torque on it and I was able to slowly but surely unscrew it back out.

Ordered a new one but would you say it's safe to drive for the 2 or 3 days it takes to come down? I turned it over and the gasket is holding, no oil leaking.

Thoughts?

(I posted this in the general Under the Hood section also but was interested in some more localised feedback, US input can be iffy at times )
Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 AM

Umm I dunno... it's one of those things that would probably be ok but I wouldn't like to try it. Having suffered an entire engine failure I am more than careful (scared) when it comes to things like this...

I would maybe see if b&q do a similar size etc. If not wait for the proper part if you can?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be fine. theres no oil pressure in the cam cover; it's all spray/splash lubricated.
you might get a slight weep of oil so might be worth checking every so often just to be sure.
I dont think it was you; I've also had one shear on me.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean the rocker cover?

If so, it will probably will leak when you drive unless it was the middle of two bolts then it may not..

Driving for 2 / 3 days is fine, its probably going to make a mess of oil though, don't think you can loose enough oil in that period to make any difference

Joeh
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like said there's no pressure in there so the other bolts will keep it clamped down enough, it's not like your cover is going to deform to let buckets of oil out...

It'll be fine
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque is something like 20Nm on those, so not very much at all. Also I was suprised to see in the manual that there's an order for tightening them up.

It'll be fine I expect.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 AM

Cheers guys, fact there is no oil pressure means it should be fine.

I've had a play and moved the bolts to what I feel gives the best clamping. The missing bolt is now on the front high side (seeing as the engine sits at an angle)

I don't need to drive much, maybe 2 or 3 trips before Monday when the part should come in.

I am just relieved I got the thing out, I felt sick at the thought of £££ getting a pro to extract it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Been there, done that.

It will be fine. Just torque it up next time.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

anybody have a part number for the bolt? hoping its not one of those you need to buy all 5 for $15.99 deals
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
anybody have a part number for the bolt? hoping its not one of those you need to buy all 5 for $15.99 deals
90013-PCX-000

This site is great for part numbers:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...olorLabelID=-1

Quick Reply: Sheered Valve Cover Bolt