UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Service intervals.......total scam in my opinion

Old 06-08-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service intervals.......total scam in my opinion

Currently in a quandry......my car has done 19,000 miles but being 3 years old according to the service book it needs another service BUT the mileage equivalent is 27,000 miles so as far as I am concerned I've got 8000 miles 'in hand' before things would wear out requiring them to be replaced

Similarly just got a quote for the red car that makes my eyes fricking water I can tell you.....cambelts, oil seals, ancillaries etc etc The car has hardly moved since the last cambelt service for one reason or another and I simply don't accept that rubber belts and oil seals will perish over 12 months

I am getting to feel that service intervals are merely designed to keep the service departments ticking over

fact is due to an interuption in cash flow...I can't afford to service the cars just at the moment but in my own mind I don't think they need it

My only concern is resale but surely any hit you might take on the residuals would be off-set against the money you'd save by servicing based on mileage not time

Anyone agree.....?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 AM

Hard to say really.

Personally, I would be very wary of buying a car that had missed a servicing interval. I believe there was one posted recently on Ebay which had gone 27,000 miles without a service or something equally ridiculous. Admittedly thats at the extreme end of the spectrum but the bottom line is people will always ask "why"...

The above all said and done, I totally agree with everything you've said.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:30 AM

Zero, as a buyer I would walk away from any car without a full service history. You'll invalidate your warranty and you won't be able to extend your warranty should you want to in the future.

IMO You will lose 90% of your market when it's time to sell. All for the sake of
Old 06-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Ryn

I know exactly what you mean, for one reason or another I only do about 4-5k miles a year, but according to Honda I would still need it serviced annually even though all the bits would only be half worn
Old 06-08-2004, 07:32 AM

The whole main dealer services scenario is a complete SCAM!

People end up paying way over the odds for what's often a poor job!

Why do we all pay silly money for a stamp in the service book!

And remember the service intervals are only recommended!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Ryn

P.S Doesn't mean I won't do it though! Check your documents to see what parts require changing and source them yourself for Honda to change for you. That should save you a fair few quid.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 AM

Don't know how true this is but recently in the paper there was an article saying that Honda will soon be getting rid of their advised service intervals - instead will connect the car to the computer which will print out what needs servicing - therefore only servicing the things that really need it and hence reducing the cost!

Sounds good for those that don't use the car as much as normal. But as I said not sure if and when it's going to happen
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 AM

Like you say Paul, we can all understand fully what you are saying particulalrly as you spend most of your commute in the beater.

Unfortunately for the sake of a few hundred quid, it will make it more difficult to sell in the future it's just a sad fact of life.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:04 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sportie
Don't know how true this is but recently in the paper there was an article saying that Honda will soon be getting rid of their advised service intervals - instead will connect the car to the computer which will print out what needs servicing - therefore only servicing the things that really need it and hence reducing the cost!

Sounds good for those that don't use the car as much as normal. But as I said not sure if and when it's going to happen
Im sure I read somewhere also that the legislation was being brought in to stop main dealers monopolising services when under warranty. As long as the work is carried out to an equivalent standard and with equal grade materials then the dealerships cannot stipulate that you have your service with them to keep you warranty valid. I don't know if this has been made law yet, but surely a bit of healthy competition will bring main dealer prices down.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite right- check out the OFT (Office of Fair Trading). You'll have to find it yourself, I haven't got time - too busy enjoying the heatwave!!

Quick Reply: Service intervals.......total scam in my opinion