UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Selling an S privately

Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBB
Originally Posted by David.mt' timestamp='1303910060' post='20512219
asked what price they would be prepared to deal at.
To expect what is effectively a verbal concession on price during an initial phone enquiry is an absolute cheek, and smacks of trying to be a msart ares. Better & more subtle is to establish whether "there might be room for movement".
A switched on seller is going to be wise and never commit to a price, which restrict his negotiating options.

If I suspect somebody is going to buy just on the price I assume they are trade, and even if not, would disecourage a viewing.
Your views and your opinion. I have just bought this month and used the same approach and would do again. "Room for movement" is so subjective and therefore of no use to either the seller or buyer - at least trying to get a more definitive idea price before viewing allows a filtering process to allow comparability. If anyone discouraged viewing I would just move on to the next as I did - it not as though these cars are rare or in short supply. Again on condition - one persons showroom condition is anothers average so I don't put too much reliance on those either.

Don't understand why you could think trying to set parameters for negotiating is either a cheek or trying to be a smart arse . You either want to sell you car or you don't - please explain.

My time is valueable to me and I was looking at 2007 car which generally still have warranty so price was a key factor so I have no issue in gauging the price range before even considering spending time viewing.

Matt - congrats on the sale. .
Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 PM

Iv just put a deposit on my first s2000 on Thursday night. Im paying full asking price, and wouldn't have even gone to see it if i wasn't willing to. If i could have got it cheaper I would, but it was as described. You cant rock up - find there's nothing really to pick fault with that hasn't been mentioned in the advert - and then say "I'll give you £xxxx for it and that's all".
Old 04-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Antaz
Iv just put a deposit on my first s2000 on Thursday night. Im paying full asking price, and wouldn't have even gone to see it if i wasn't willing to. If i could have got it cheaper I would, but it was as described. You cant rock up - find there's nothing really to pick fault with that hasn't been mentioned in the advert - and then say "I'll give you £xxxx for it and that's all".
Did you buy the S2000? If so congrats. If you found a good car no point haggling excessively for a few hundred squids. One will spend and awful long time looking for a car like the Composite Guru's.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
Originally Posted by Antaz' timestamp='1304149647' post='20523596
Did you buy the S2000? If so congrats. If you found a good car no point haggling excessively for a few hundred squids. One will spend and awful long time looking for a car like the Composite Guru's.
I bought one from here but not comps. Its the Silverstone one for 5250 in the for sale section.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

can't say I would ever talk money before I've seen a car

the advertised price, pictures, description and a quick phone call decide on whther to view

however, I bid want I'm prepared to pay

that's 'never' the asking price and often nowhere near it

sometimes I get the car, sometimes not - I don't lose any sleep

I have a dealer mentality which is that there is always another one

and they are just lumps of metal and plastic, and however pretty and enjoyable to drive, not something to get emotionally attached to
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Glad to hear you stood firm and got your asking price. Goes without saying it was worth being patient.

I've had a few pristine cars over the years and fully understand why you did not want to give the car away. It's really galling when buyers start trying all the famous techniques to drive the price down. They hold the money though, and unless you have exactly what they want at the right price for them; most will just walk away and await the next opportunity to negotiate (imho most people aren't happy unless they've struck some sort of deal or got money off).

Good news is there are still buyers out there waiting for genuinely well cared for cars and will pay accordingly.