UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Self Leveling Headlights stopped working.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for thinking about me in your sleep. Very flattered!

When the lights came on when turning the ignition on, they also moved the beams up and down as if to set the level at that point in time.
I think this is feature not a problem. I have just picked up the following from a Civic Forum and may have to do as this guy did. All of you with headlights
that just come on when switching may be in for a treat. As follows

"I had an issue with my self-leveling, at one time they stop working , I don't know why.Anyway, I went to the dealer and they reset something using their Honda diagnostic tool (though not sure what ) and everything was back to normal. <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">I did not have that issue again, since then.

Is this the answer?
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 AM

New Pump fixed the Headlight Washers.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 AM

Headlight Learning Procedure (With HID)

Learn the headlights if following parts are replaced:

Headlight, headlight adjuster control unit, headlightadjuster levelling sensor, headlight adjuster motor, HID unit, HID bulb, andcombination light switch.

• Park the vehicle on level surface.

• Make sure the tire pressures are correct.

• Unload a vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Slide the driver's and passenger's seats the endmost.

3. Set a burden down from the vehicle, and only driver (75kg)* must get on. (It is designed as 75 kg in this system.)

4. Connect the HDS to the data link connector, and short theSCS line.

5. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

6. Within 5 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON/OFF threetimes. The learning is completed when the headlights move downward from upward.

7. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

8. Disconnect the HDS from the data link connector.

9. Adjust the headlights.

This information relates to Honda Civic

The learning procedure I found under "Headlight Learning Procedure (With HID)" (Body > Lights, Exterior > Headlights Adjuster) and the wiring diagram was under <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">"Fuel and Emissions System Description - Diesel Engine Management System (N22A)" (Engine > Fuel and Emissions > Diesel Engine Management System). I guess for a Type-R it'll be similar/same procedure and in a similar location in the service manual.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

So from that it seems like your car had been stuck in learning mode until whatever you did set it back to normal operating mode.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
So from that it seems like your car had been stuck in learning mode until whatever you did set it back to normal operating mode.
Dunno yet. Preliminary tests show volts and continuity at the plug to the rear sender unit. If that's the problem
then I will need to replace it and then go through the procedure I described previously. I have the car booked in to an auto electrician on Friday as
I do not have an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) or code reader.

If I crack this I will post the process and a video of the lights doing their stuff on startup.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Either way until that failed, you were in HID learning mode each time you started the car, whether that caused the fault with the unit or vice versa is probably a moot point - now you have a fault to fix
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Or you could get one of those "Audi" control units fitted and blind everyone whatever you have in the boot
Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Conclusion,

Having followed the procedure previously posted I now have headlights that respond to the sensor mounted at the rear suspension.
During the re-learning operation the headlights move up and down and you can hear the motors.

With reference to shorting the SCS line. This is a 2 lead connector coloured blue and is located into a green rubber block thing to
located it out of the way. (just pull it out) I made a jumper lead to short the wires with some solid wire that I ground the ends flat with so
they would fit into the connector terminals. Thus shorting the SCS lead. ( No need to go to earth )

Unfortunately I still do not have the headlights come on and go through the procedure at engine start up and can only assume that this
must be programmed into the main ECU by Honda. Comments welcome.

I would appreciate anyone who could recommend an OBDII code reader that is capable of accessing the Honda Software so this can
be re-set. I am investigating the Delphi DS150e which I am told will do the job.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several people have told you the headlights do not come on at engine start up
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Just to qualify my obviously interpreted delusion, I purchased the car from a dear friend of some 12 years who has owned the car for 8 years and is a solicitor
in a very prominent Law Firm in Newcastle. HE CONFIRMED TO ME THAT THE HEADLIGHTS CAME ON AND MOVED UP AND DOWN EVERY TIME HE
STARTED THE CAR.

Should you wish to challenge my mechanical ability please see this My link and this My link If you wish to call me a liar then you are pushing your luck!

Quick Reply: Self Leveling Headlights stopped working.