UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seized Geo bolts failure rate

Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

^^ on the too do list,will wire brush threads first call,lube and gingerly approach the problem areas,my rears are out atm once all free get it to a shop.Want to remove suspension components first to check paint and refurb
Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
I would like to take my car to TGM for geo but I don't know what has seized, if anything, but I'm guessing it has.

Wish I knew how much it is going to cost before I take the plunge (expecting the worst)
You would have to be really unlucky to have loads and loads seized. At worse i would imagine the alignment would be able to be done with the Toe set correctly but you could end up with a few seized camber, caster adjusters seized but even then they would more than likely be able to align the car better than it currently is.

Plus Toms a good bloke and he's not going to slap £1000 bill on you without asking. Me personally if i found out loads were seized i would gradually acquire all the parts as getting it all sorted in one go will be painful
Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

For £1k would rather leave it as is !!
poss fabricate my own adjuster parts too the new price sucks!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Sabre saw from screwfix, some good blades and a good acquaintance with a press can make the job very cost effective. Combined with your time and effort of course!

Mugen compliance bushes are around £70, and new drop links (trust me, you'll need em if they are original!) are the only parts you should need.

If however you have anything other than the compliance bushes seized then as others have said; you're into poly bush or new arm territory.

Full geo alignment afterwards and the difference is incredible!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The cost of replacement arms from the States probably works out quite good compared to removal of the old ones, bush removal, bush reinstall and then re installation.

I was looking at the cost for me to replace caster bushes and adjusters and it was £250 odd quid for the 2 bolts, nuts and bushes from polyflex! I could probably get the arms from the states for £500 which would include brand new bushes on the other parts as well.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

1999 with 40K, no seized bolts at all, when Chris @ CG removed them he greased them with a silver coloured grease and said if these bolts ever seize I can come round and set fire to his house

One thing Chris did say is that the quality of the bolts that Honda use is way over the top really, even better than the bolts that Porsche use on 911/GT3's etc, he started going on about rolled threads etc, so that is obviously where a lot of the cost comes from.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Depends how and where you use the car, mine was on 70kish on an 2004 car - castor were rotted to hell and all the lower rear bolts were seized solid.

Mine did get used all year round and the previous owner lived by the sea, the car is now garaged and won't be used much over the winter so it should be fine from now on.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
I would like to take my car to TGM for geo but I don't know what has seized, if anything, but I'm guessing it has.

Wish I knew how much it is going to cost before I take the plunge (expecting the worst)
It's easy enough to try to budge them yourself. Then at least you'll have an idea.

None of mine were seized when it was first done 5 or so years ago (and by then the car would have been 8 years old). The previous owner did keep it in a garage under a cover and only take it out to polish it.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't forget you can often make adjustments by just stretching the rubber bush, the bolt is in fact still seized in the bush. I know I found 2 of mine were like this and this resulted in the rubber being damaged/stretched inside the bush.

But once freed if you can get the bolts out, clean the bore and the bolt, refit with a water proof marine grease, not copper slip ( its not water proof/resistant ) If you haven't cut the bolts no need for grossly over priced new Honda ones!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO

But once freed if you can get the bolts out, clean the bore and the bolt, refit with a water proof marine grease, not copper slip ( its not water proof/resistant ) If you haven't cut the bolts no need for grossly over priced new Honda ones!
Please post a link to a suitable product - this will help lots of owners

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Seized Geo bolts failure rate