UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seized Geo bolts failure rate

Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized Geo bolts failure rate

Had new set of tyres fitted and was advised that the old ones had uneven wear on the fronts.
As this had not been done before, took my 2004 to TGM for a chassis alignment.
Tom greeted me with the news that he has been finding 9 out of ten cars with seized bolts. And that includes a 2009 car!
FINGERS CROSSED and mine were found to be completely free...... As it is a weekend car that rarely goes out in the rain, I'm lucky that the chassis looks new.

I took the opportunity to change gearbox and diff oils after 20k miles.. What was interesting is the the g'box oil looked completely fresh but this was not the case for the diff oil which really did need replacing. I know this is on the Honda recommended maintenance schedule but was surprised to see how necessary the change was.

Very impressed with TGM (Tom),who really do understand these cars. And very reasonable pricing. Well worth 130 mile round trip.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM

I would like to take my car to TGM for geo but I don't know what has seized, if anything, but I'm guessing it has.

Wish I knew how much it is going to cost before I take the plunge (expecting the worst)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 AM

2007 just < 30k on clock and no bolts seized.

Hope your the same
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 AM

All mine at the rear are seized. Still to sort out but the bolts are bloody rediculous price
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

2001 on 54k, nothing seized at all
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Mine only had one sticky bolt, and certainly wasn't seized.

I think Tom might have been exaggerating!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd chopped all of mine out (bar two), replaced and greased with ACF-50 block before I took it to Tom so I reckon that must skew the results back the other way
Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
2001 on 54k, nothing seized at all
Buy a lottery ticket. You are obviously a lucky $%U@
Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 PM

My previous '52 reg had a few seized so Dixon did the full poly-bush job.

I had my 'new' '57 reg one for a few months and took it for a check-up at Center Gravity. (5 years old at the time)
This was after being assured by the Honda Main dealer vendor that all alignment had been checked and reset before I bought it.

3 bushes were just at the point of seizing and took a lot of persuading to free off but eventually OK.
I worked with Peter at CG for a couple of hours to free them, and when removed they were well corroded.

All bolts were then removed and shoulders polished and greased. Geo set and all is well.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I think alot of it depends on how much time your willing to spend trying to free the bolts up.

Before taking mine to WIM the other day i slackened off the track rod end locking nuts and found the thread on the passenger side track rod was pretty knackered. Spent 30 minutes heating it up and working it back and forth and it soon freed up.

I know my front drivers side caster adjuster is seized and i have plus gased it over and over again to now avail. Im sure if i spent sometime heating it up, cooling it and then heating it up i could get it to move in the end. Most alignment places will get a spanner and rachet on it and if it doesn't budge thats it seized, they aren't going to spend ages trying to free if off. Once its free taking it out and greasing it up would prevent any future problems.

Its just frustrating because if honda had of sprayed some grease on each bolt before assembly this would never of been an issue!

Im just glad mine is seized in a neutral position and that means i don't have to worry about it. I will probably end up replacing the whole arm with one from the states in the future.

I would say in terms of failures the caster adjuster would be the biggest culprits because the water and corrosion runs vertically down the bolt where as the camber adjusters don't have that problem. Everybolt i remove now i give it a coat of copper grease and put it back in. It works because a year later when i removed my coilovers the bolts came out first time with no tightness after they had initially been cracked undone. Nothing worse than a bolt that is a struggle all the way out!

Quick Reply: Seized Geo bolts failure rate