UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

seat belts

Old 07-30-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belts

Has anyone stripped thier car for racing and would be interested in parting with thier stock seatbelt units??

I ask because I have just had a phonecall off the guy repairing my damaged repairable S2k. He has realised that as the air bags have deployed, the seatbelts have locked up. (since they are connected to the SRS system).

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:09 AM

What happen with your crash? I hope all were OK.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:09 AM

Chris,

You have a PM.

Matt
Old 08-13-2002, 01:41 AM

I now have the drivers side seat belt thanks to a phone number from Matt but have yet to find a Passenger side seta belt.

Honda want
Old 08-13-2002, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chris Mckenna
Somebody must know where I can find an S2000 in scrap yard that has not had the seat belts go off due to impact??
Just trying to think why an S2000 would be in a scrap yard if it hadn't been in an accident, or caught fire
Old 08-13-2002, 02:50 AM

Just trying to think why an S2000 would be in a scrap yard if it hadn't been in an accident, or caught fire
I've been told that the seat belts don't go off in all impacts, I could be wrong I suppose.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:23 AM

the pre-tensioners shouldn't detonate unless the airbags have deployed (about 18mph I think) but I'd still be damn wary of any belt that has seen an impact, the webbing could have stretched or distorted... who knows how it would perform second time round
Old 08-13-2002, 03:49 AM

Yes, sorry, I meant to say "in an accident that had triggered the pre-tensioners". Any accident that hadn't done this surely wouldn't have put the car into the knacker's yard?

Pete
Old 08-13-2002, 03:58 AM

Does anybody know what would happen if I replaced the passenger side seat belt with a non-S2000 seatbelt (IE didn't have the pre-tensioners attached and therefore not connected to the airbag system).

Would the Airbag system display a fault??

To be honest I've never been a lover of Airbags or seat belt tensioners. The seat belt tensioners being deployed were the cause of some of Noel Gallaghers burns during his crash in the USA as far as I know.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:15 AM

I was driving police cars back when the seat belt legislation was due to come in. Along with everyone else we hated the whole idea, but were told to wear them prior to the legislation coming into force on pain of disciplinary proceedings if we were caught not wearing them.

It took less than a week for that comforting little tug on the shoulder under hard breaking to make me a total convert. You can argue the trapped in the car scenario till the cows come home but at least you're not going through the screen or smashing your head into the dash. The pre-tensioners are state-of-the-art safety at the moment and I wouldn't want to lose them. They're there to save your life.

Quick Reply: seat belts