UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Screech on cold wet startup?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screech on cold wet startup?

I have a screech form a belt or bearing? on cold start up, but i have mainly noticed it on cold wet days from first start.

I noticed yesterday for the second time, a 10 minute drive to the girlfriends, then again this morning on first start up, was damp and cold outside, drove home, half hour later, went to go out again and no noise ( apart from that annoying TCT rattle )

Any ideas? Had a quick search on google, and seems there could be numerous things causing the problem, but my suspicion is that i will need a new belt..
Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Sounds like belts to me.

Funnily enough, I had to replace my girlfriends alternator belt this weekend because of the same symptoms. You can tighten them a bit, but that is usually a temporary fix for a few months.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Ok mate, will check that, any tell tale signs its the belt on the s2000?

Also what sort of price are they? Any part numbers?

Cheers
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Well if it only happens when it's damp and cold, that will be the belt slipping. Once it's warmed up the belt will be dry and won't slip. If it was a bearing, it would probably screech all the time.

Might be best to just get someone else to start the car, whilst you investigate under the bonnet.

I think the belt part numbers might be on the tech FAQ. If not, I'm sure si@hendy performance would be able to help.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

A noise from the starter motor is very common in the cold. Mines been doing it for years now.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks gus, sounds like the problem im having is the belt slipping then, as it only happens sometimes, on mainly cold and wet first start ups and when the revs raise it speeds up.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez
Thanks gus, sounds like the problem im having is the belt slipping then, as it only happens sometimes, on mainly cold and wet first start ups and when the revs raise it speeds up.
Belt slipping due to extra resistance from the alternator because of higher demand in the cold. Or a very cold water pump could cause it.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM

Could be starter motor, just had mine replaced. It does sound like a belt slipping and it will only do it when the car is cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
A noise from the starter motor is very common in the cold. Mines been doing it for years now.
mine too. annoying but it's yet to give any obvious issues after 5 years of doing it...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Mine does exactly that. I haven't had the car for very long, so it's good to know it's just one of those noises.

Quick Reply: Screech on cold wet startup?