UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scratch on wheels

Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch on wheels

Had some back tyres fitted on my 05 wheels and just noticed that the fitter has put a scratch all the way around the flat part of the outer rim. Obviously caused by the fitting machine. I guess they should have put a wheel protector around the edge before they removed the old tyre and put the new one on.

Can anybody recommend something to try and polish the scratch out? I have megs scratch X and T-cut in the garage,im not sure if the edge will need re-laquering?

I really cant see the point of taking them back and complaining,apart from the hassle if they do agree to sort them out they will probably wet and dry them back or take two weeks to get them re-furbed.

I hate incompetence,flipping idiots damaging my pride and joy..

Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 AM

My wheel got mangled by a tyre monkey - complained straight away and they had it refurbed.

They probably have a mobile unit that'll come and do it in a couple of hours.

I would suggest going back to them before you ruin it even more
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 AM

Thanks for that Vixen. If it was that quick to sort out i'll take it back and get them to take a look.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 AM

Sorry to hear that - this is one of my worst fears as my rears are new replacements and I'm wary of these rush job places. Numpty Kwik-fit monkey managed to scratch one when brand new denied it when I made a fuss

I ensure I watch them whilst doing it now and make a point when I talk to them as my other half's Polo had some new tyres and they didn't use plastic protectors on the spikes that hold the wheel in place when replacing Feckers just don't take any pride in their work as I then had to spend a morning scraping the sticky stuff from the weights off which they'd also caused scrapes removing Am anxious about having new rears fitted on the S but the dealer's price is ridiculous
Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Micheldever tyres did the same thing to one of my rears.
Should have checked it at the time, couldn't be bothered to make another 30 mile round trip.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM

It may be more of a problem with an 05 car

If it has the chrome effect on the lip of the wheel and on the spokes many mobile wheel refurbishers will be unable to repair it properly

Best of luck though, always annoying when someone doesn't take the care they should with your car
Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Umesh, why dont you go with Black Circles as suggested?
You get the best prices in our area and get to choose your fitting garage nationwide! There are thousands on thier list...

Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 AM

I used Event Mobile, the fitter was very careful. He was very interested in the S and took care of the wheels. Good price & good service.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ,Nov 7 2008, 04:46 PM
It may be more of a problem with an 05 car

If it has the chrome effect on the lip of the wheel and on the spokes many mobile wheel refurbishers will be unable to repair it properly

Best of luck though, always annoying when someone doesn't take the care they should with your car

My 05 needed refurbing - the dealer I bought it from couldn't get it done as because standard they have a 'diamond cut' finish so had to be sent away.

The mobile firm I ended up using brought axle stands, took the wheels and left the car on stands for a week then returned with the nicely polished and refurbed wheels ..... and that is my understanding of the only way to refurb post 04 cars - no one will do it 'on site' unless you are prepared to have the 'normal' finish as opposed to the shiny polished finish they came with.

IIRC the firm my mobile refurb company used was in Kent and are very well known (just not to me ).
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 AM

http://www.lepsons.com/

These are the guys in kent I recommend.

I have seen their work. They're miracle workers

Quick Reply: Scratch on wheels