UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scary moment - in a straight line

Old 12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
hyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary moment - in a straight line

Nearly gave myself a heart attack last night, pulling onto a dual carriageway, as I do twice a day, pull into the 2nd hand lane to overtake the slower cars on the left, nothing crazy, just nice and smooth, perfectly straight line, car hits Vtec in 2nd and all hell breaks loose. Back of the car started to squirm from left and right, felt like i was on a rollercoast rolling around inside the car. I held on and managed to keep it straight while my heart rate went up to im guessing 400bpm. The car I overtook must have thought idiot/showoff! Probably the first.

Now i'm wondering why it did this. I didn't see any mud on the road, it wasn't raining, and didn't look damp, just cold out. I'd only done about 2-3 miles before so they tyres were still cold. My car is a 2000 reg, and the vtec kick is very noticable, I test drove an 04 when looking at the s and it felt very smooth. Is this why honda changed it? Was it the vtec change that upset the balance and started spinning the wheels or could it have just been something on the road i didn't see.

Whatever it was, i'm staying below 6k rpm until the sun comes out a bit!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 PM

i'd check my tyre pressure and condition and maybe have a go around an empty car park to check if the allignment is out. worth spending the money to get it checked out if it's doing unusual things though cold rubber and a slightly too heavy right foot could be all it was.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 PM

Yeah I experienced the same thing a month or so back, however I also flamed up in 3rd gear once hitting Vtec, the roads were wet at the time, but not raining. It's a very scary experience, and at the time i too wondered what the hell was going on. I invested in a new set of rear S02's the following weekend, as they were becoming low, and I have since had no reoccurane of this.

So are your tyres OK? If they are then I'd put it down to something on the road surface.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Cold rubber, cold road, play time. Thats the cause.

Note to self!!

Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do this every day up my road when i leave for work, it scares the locals more than ever now, i am used to it, roads are very slimy at the moment even when they dont look it, just ease the power out in future and you'll be better off. try and find a old road or a car park with no CCTV and have a play at getting the back to slide and controlling it.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM
hyb

Tyres have done 1,800 miles from new. Scared the sh*t out of me, i think if I had let off the gas it would have spun. Checked my pressures, all ok. Hopefully just something on the road.

This was in a straight line remember, not pulling out on a corner, but once lined up!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:09 AM

I wouldn't be shocked!! Too much power plus a damp/uneven/loose or slimy surface will do this! I did it second night of ownership same scenario cold road cold tyres (s02s)

You get used to it!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you didn't enjoy it you could try limiting VTEC to warm and dry roads only
Old 12-07-2004, 12:20 AM

s2uk
roads are very slimy at the moment even when they dont look it
The roads are very slippery at the moment, which can easily catch you out at high revs especially if the tyres are cold!

Finesse
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 AM

Could have been something spilt on the road. Take it easy out there

Quick Reply: Scary moment - in a straight line