UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scary Moment

Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without trying to sound wise after the event....why are you pushing a car to it's limit on a road you don't know? (at least from the way you describe the corner it seems you don't know it)

I never push the Honda until I have at least been on that road once or twice, to have a look for any particular hazards...bumps, blind exits etc.. You would not drive the first lap at a circuit at 100% - so why a public road?

On a nice road near me...there is a very inviting section which encourages you to go faster and faster...but no matter how dry it is...there is a following blind corner with a small stream running off the hill which always puts a damp patch on the road. If you didn't know about it..and came at full dry speed, it would end in tears because you see it just too late.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the fish tailing when I deliberatly provoked my car on gravel, my god is it hard to control, I kept my foot down and it started to get worse, so I backed off and the slowing down manged to pull the rear in line.

I also got the backend out on a damp corner and as I started to turn into the skid, the rear caught traction again and I was facing the 30 degrees the wrong way on the road, but a quick turn helped me straighten things out.

Try and mess around on some grass, I find it really helps you understand the car more without destroying tyres.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Ric

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Durzel

Whats the correct thing to do in a situation like this?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:53 PM

I would strongly recommend the Academy Day at Heyford run by the MotorSports Events crew.
You will get to learn and understand the basics of oversteer and understeer, and over correcting (which sounds like is what happened in your case) in a more real, but controlled situation.......without kerbs!

Get the car checked out too.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ric
Old 04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Ric

Originally posted by Kobe
without trying to sound wise after the event....why are you pushing a car to it's limit on a road you don't know? (at least from the way you describe the corner it seems you don't know it)
I accept your subtle telling off. I don't know the road that well (driven it twice now) and shouldn't have been pushing so hard. That said, I think that it was more importantly a case of not knowing the limits of the car's grip - I actually didn't know I was pushing it to its limit until the back went out. And I was really surprised actually when it went at how little provoking it needed. Nevertheless, I now have a slightly better understanding of the car's limits, and can see why so many people have spun their S's at roundabouts!!
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Ric

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheshire_carper
my Golf had a `slight knock` on the rear wheel. It resulted in nearly four K of damage
Old 04-07-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Kobe

On the course I did, I was encouraged to push the car on roads I didn't know - by using this "limit point" idea I could read the road much better and guage what speed to carry into the corner far better than with my previous guesswork. Obviously you still have to concentrate on the road surface and account for bumps, damp patches etc, but you do that with the S all the time anyway. I was amazed at the speed I was encouraged to drive round corners (even in the damp on SO2s), and the car was fine - seems smoothness is the key to everything.

(I did ask the instructor what to do if I came upon an obstruction while nailing it around a corner and he said "You've ABS don't you?" )
Old 04-08-2004, 12:09 AM

Surely the best way to scrub speed is to use the brakes, not changing down a gear. I see it as I would prefer 4 wheels to slow the car as opposed to 2 wheels. You would have as much chance slowing down by using the handbrake if this were the case.

Fishtailing is a frightening scenario. Do not accelerate (unless in a 4wd car) as the backend will get worse. Don't brake as the backend will lift and get worse, just ease off the pedals gently and steer into the slide. The only way to stop it is to catch it, either by luck or practice.

I have not fishtailed in the Honda yet, had the backend out plenty of times though. It takes alot of practice, but it will become easier.

Quick Reply: Scary Moment