UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scary driving

Old 06-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicew to see a few people from the North East, I have been looking at the locations and hadnt spotted anyone till I got to this post. I'll keep an eye out, although I have still to see another one on the road. Im in a Silverstone/red, give me a flash if you see me.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:59 PM

Welcome 6500rpm

We were thinking about a mini-meet up in Rothbury later in the year, so keep an eye on the board. Hopefully I'll have another S by then
Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 AM

I drove down from Nottingham to London on Sunday on the M1 - and I was continually appalled at the standards of what some people actually call driving.

Just when I thought I'd seen the most idiotic, reckless and pointless maneuvre, someone else in another car goes and does something even more stupid.

No kidding - I was wincing all the way down the M1. How there was not an accident, god only knows.

One example, which was just funny rather than dangerous, was a woman driving her 323i . As there was a bit of a traffic jam on the M1 (speeds down to 15mph in some places), she decided that she could make better progress by weaving in and out of the traffic. Well sure enough she probably got about 200 metres ahead of me as I sat pootling along in the inside lane (ALWAYS the fastest lane in these Mway situations). Then the outside lane she was in just stopped.

I took great satisfaction in passing her a few seconds later at 25mph on the inside lane while she sat stationary in the outside lane fuming. All that effort for nothing (now why couldn't she have realised that at the time).
Old 06-02-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL:

Really I'm just dismayed by it all. The number of drivers who've simply forgotten how to indicate and why they're doing it in the first place. The indicator stalk is flipped at the same time they start turning the wheel, or often afterwards,.. now just a conditioned response and totally useless and redundant!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Ade

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
The number of drivers who've simply forgotten how to indicate and why they're doing it in the first place. The indicator stalk is flipped at the same time they start turning the wheel, or often afterwards,.. now just a conditioned response and totally useless and redundant!
Far too true.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

In most cars, indicator stalks only work in the left direction, not the right, so you're lucky!

Why if you are cruising fast down a Mway/dual carriageway, do people you've overtaken, suddenly speed up behind you, follow you, overtake you, only a few miles up the road, slow down so you go past them once more? It is often a POS Golf or 306.

This obviously induces VTEC inspired paranoia that they are unmarked plod, especially at night.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
In most cars, indicator stalks only work in the left direction, not the right, so you're lucky!

Why if you are cruising fast down a Mway/dual carriageway, do people you've overtaken, suddenly speed up behind you, follow you, overtake you, only a few miles up the road, slow down so you go past them once more? It is often a POS Golf or 306.

This obviously induces VTEC inspired paranoia that they are unmarked plod, especially at night.
My wife does this, but not a couple of miles down the road - she overtakes, pulls in, and takes her foot right off the accelerator so the guy behind has to brake. Huh?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by The Boy Wonder
I had the same experience with a Beemer on the way to Whitby last weekend....he was mad. Just let him go past and enjoy the ride...its the only way
Naaaaaaa
Old 06-03-2003, 07:44 PM

Well the situation does not get much better here in Japan.
There are countless number of shocking experiences on the highway and regular roads.

Tail-gating abound, always see undertaking, simultaneous indicating and maneuvering, running red lights, lane hogging, constantly switching lanes without indicating etc. It's not limited to city folk, but the countryside too. The irritating thing is that most offenders get away with it.
For a country deep in history and complex culture, it's ironic to see such lack of civil behaviour once behind a wheel. Then again, in a metropolis of 12 million people, there is plenty of tension and short fuses waiting to ignite and explode.
I am so glad there are no roundabouts here. It would only contribute to more unruly behaviour and my commentary. Lastly, I am being unfair and committed some "offences" myself. Furthermore I left out the "nice" encounters on the road. Sorry, just quick to judge others other than myself. Only that I needed to get things off my chest ever since a new 5 series Beemer was trying to read my rear bumper sticker that wasn't there. He pushed and I didn't want to respond as it was way too crowded on the twisty highway.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:03 AM

I get loads of problem's with maxpower'd saxo's/golf's/beemer's (and that well known exotic sports car, the Fiat Uno TURBO) in Leamington. When I first got my S, I was up for racing anything, but now, around town/residential area's I just let'em get on with it.

Before i get flamed, there is a reason for this. In the last 2 weeks in leamington there have been two road accident fatalities, one of which I saw the aftermath of (Artic lorry and cyclist, suffice to say the lorry did'nt come off worse). This and the increased number's of marked and unmarked police patrols (they now have 2 unmarked Honda Accord Type-R's, and one Lexus IS200) have made me decide that it just is'nt worth having a play unless you are well away from any form of civilisation.

Cheers

Martin

Quick Reply: Scary driving