UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scary driving

Old 05-31-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a similar thing to this on B-H Monday. A golf GTI this time though. We were in a ~30 car queue heading down the A31 near Ferndown (nasty bit of single carriageway). After 5 minutes or so of dodgy overtakes, he made it to the front of the queue and disappeared, but just as we got to the dual carriageway (2 miles down the road, which he could have waited for), we saw these blue flashing lights, and there he was, being given a right boll0cking by the plod in a layby. Oh, yes, divine justice, a rare occurrence, but it does happen sometimes.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by steve_the_greek
Saw a similar thing to this on B-H Monday. A golf GTI this time though. We were in a ~30 car queue heading down the A31 near Ferndown (nasty bit of single carriageway). After 5 minutes or so of dodgy overtakes, he made it to the front of the queue and disappeared, but just as we got to the dual carriageway (2 miles down the road, which he could have waited for), we saw these blue flashing lights, and there he was, being given a right boll0cking by the plod in a layby. Oh, yes, divine justice, a rare occurrence, but it does happen sometimes.
I that.

Once something similar happened to me in another car. I was overtaken by a twot. Around the corner, he`s in a hedge. I mean, HE`S TRULY IN A HEDGE. Like WELL PLANTED.

Boy I loved that. Beeped as I flew past. His life messed up. Mine just made.

Almighty, there is a lord.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's a downside to the CTR, it's the number of these yoyos it attracts.... it seems to have a very strange effect on them. I hate to say it, but a high proportion are Golf GTIs.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
If there's a downside to the CTR, it's the number of these yoyos it attracts.... it seems to have a very strange effect on them. I hate to say it, but a high proportion are Golf GTIs.
Agree about the Golfs, enjoyoing the fine weather today, on some of the faster surrey roads, A246, and had a nice bike behind me doing some wiggling before the road opened up to a dual carrigeway (warming tyres??)

Golf TDI infront, well for some reason he decided that the right hand lane was the place to be with an S2000 and a sports bike behind him......finally moved over and i did also letting the bike through before blasting past also - but he was clearly trying to race us both and had his foot down - but why bother?

his face was a picture at the next set of lights, sitting between myself and the Biker

Old 06-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

What is it with these Golfs. especially GTis, TDis and Cabrios? Time for a bit of stereotyping.

They do seem to adopt a style comprised of a weird combination of aggression/obstructiveness.

I had a smoking (as in shot, not schmokin) GTi hold me up for about five miles the other day (after nearly taking my nose off, because he didn't want to give way on the roundabout he was entering that I was already circling). He accomplished this through a series of mad under and overtaking moves while I was just pacing, waiting for him to move over. He also braked incredibly early for corners, neatly straddling both lanes!

Eventually, he pulled over and gave me a beep as I went past...........I suppose that was his idea of fun

Whenever I am enjoying a bit of empty dual carriageway around here, I will find a bloody Golf in the outside lane!

Correction - Golf or that other performance icon, the BMW 318i coupe.

My philosophy is pretty simple. If I am in the outside lane and I can move in to let someone past - I will. If it's clear that if I do, I will have to brake to avoid traffic in the inside - I won't. The size of the gap. speeds and type of car behind me will obviously be key factors in the decision.

But doesn't it confuse when you do move in, only for the tailgater to creep past at walking pace difference?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:48 AM

For me it seems to be Saxos, lately.
I just let them go - if you just slow down really obviously like you can't be bothered, it completely spoils their fun.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Ade

The worst driving I have ever experienced was in Nepal. None of the above incidents would rate even a minor comment. Basically there are no rules. No speed limits. No traffic lights. No road markings. No police. Accidents are the norm and deaths frequent.

This is a country with no Health Service and people often lose fingers, toes, arms and legs just because they get simple infections that cannot be dealt with. Any road injury is likely to have very serious consequences (permanent disfigurement and loss of earnings for life). Yet people still drive like crazy.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by gaddafi

But doesn't it confuse when you do move in, only for the tailgater to creep past at walking pace difference?
Man that's annoying!!! If possible I give them their chance to get past and if they don't do it quick enough I drop it down a gear or 2 and .
Old 06-01-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Was that your S I saw in Darras Hall last Saturday morning Mark? Female driving.
... possibly my wife doing the Tesco run!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:05 PM

I thought it would be yours, not many yellow ones kicking around the Ponteland area!! Looked great in the sunshine.

Quick Reply: Scary driving