UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scamera Partnership Vans

Old 12-18-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scamera Partnership Vans

Just received a NIP after being targeted by one of these vans (Northamptonshire), I thought that they normally used laser to measure your speed, but if so my Snooper S4 did not react

Guess there could be a problem with the Snooper, but can anyone confirm what these nice chaps use ?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:55 AM

Yes the are laser probably something like a LTi 20/20 speed gun.
You can probably test the laser detector by sending a business card from your mobile via IR in the direction of the snooper. This sets the B2 off.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:45 AM

Even if your snooper did react by the time it has warned you the laser already has your speed. And that's assuming the user of the laser is unstable enough to target your windscreen with the laser. When they're mounted in a van the laser will be targeted at the front of the car, usually the lovely reflective number plate. As soon as they get the lock you're shafted.

Laser detectors aren't really worth paying for.

Have you considered slowing down in built up areas or when there's vans at the side of the road?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad luck mate, just what you didn't need at Xmas

I've got a Snooper S4 Neo also (and, yes, the laser/radar detector is mounted directly below the number plate to ensure the best "hit rate") but it doesn't seem to pick these lasers up too easliy either. I've tried to test it by driving past scamera vans (at below the speed limit though) to see if it picks them up and it doesn't.

Its good on false alerts though (especially from the low sun at this time of year)!

Also, I don't think their database is all that good either. I've driven past a number of Gatso's that it didn't detect either (I know some will say there is an "update buttion" for this situation - but what's the point of that when potentially you've already been nicked?!)

I think a better quality detector is the answer. Well that, and the cops playing fair by not hiding their scamera vans in hedges, past blind bends, etc (like they do round here). If its all about "safety" why don't they advertise their presence to get the traffic to slow down? Probably because they would get less fine income to pay their overtime bills for running the scams!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikdys,Dec 18 2005, 10:05 AM
If its all about "safety" why don't they advertise their presence to get the traffic to slow down? Probably because they would get less fine income to pay their overtime bills for running the scams!
Because you shouldn't be breaking the speed limit (i.e. driving unsafely in an easily measurable fashion) anyway. Whether or not there's a speed camera there.

Personally I don't think speed cameras, gatsos or mobile vans should ever have to advertise their presence. How can they be effective if the only people they're catching are those stupid enough not to be paying attention and looking for them? And what are the consequences of making the cameras visible in such a manner that it's worth a speeding driver spending time and attention looking for them? If the cameras are invisible it's not worth the driver looking for them and instead can pay attention to the road ahead.

Or just not break the speed limit in the first place...
Old 12-18-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

i think they're usually lasers in a van.. they are round here anyway

the laser ones produce a lot of scatter which your detector picks up.. mine has saved me twice so more than happy with that

they'll only save you if there's other traffic he's checking but when is there not other traffic

get it tested.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by StuartL,Dec 18 2005, 06:10 PM
Because you shouldn't be breaking the speed limit (i.e. driving unsafely in an easily measurable fashion) anyway. Whether or not there's a speed camera there.
you're in the wrong car mate.

and you're a mug if you think speed cameras are for safety, a little village near has had two fatalities in the last 5 or so years and now they have speed cameras there.. both were stolen car hit and runs, noone was ever charged.. CCTV might have given a better answer? but then that won't make any money will it. but the speed cameras are no deterrent to twoccers at all
Old 12-18-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StuartL,Dec 18 2005, 06:10 PM
i.e. driving unsafely in an easily measurable fashion
There's not necessarliy a correlation between the two. I've seen dual carraigeways where you could quite safely drive faster than the speed limits posted, on dry motorways in light traffic traffic for example how would you argue that driving at more than 70mph is dangerous? Breaking an arbitrary law I accept, but how would that be dangerous?

As for the stealth v high visibilty which approach is going to slow more drivers down (assuming that is the objective, as opposed to emptying people's wallets)?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Dec 18 2005, 10:32 AM
you're in the wrong car mate.
Having a sports car does not excuse breaking the law, though?

I understand your point about speed cameras but the fact of the matter is that if you break the law you can't complain about getting caught or the methods by which the government enforce those laws.

If the laws are wrong campaign against the law not the enforcement method...
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, yeah, ban poverty, chavs with poor taste, disease, death, taxes....

I've the Snooper S4R Neo, it struggles to find its satellites sometimes, so I've put the POI on TomTom as a backup. Belt n' braces!

I think all of the D-bases are incomplete & the only chance against laser is really a diffuser.

Quick Reply: Scamera Partnership Vans