UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sat Nav Help Needed

Old 04-01-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Guys trolling through from the other side of the pond, thought I would give you my take.

NAV is an Alpine DVD based system, (I assume its available your way?) Screen is Alpine also 6.5" cut into the dash with a custom fabricated fiberglass pod to resemble the OEM JDM version.

Any questions fire away.

Good luck! NAV is the best!

Old 04-01-2003, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the SmartNav system installed which is great. It redirects you if the traffic builds up and doesn't require any screen.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:43 AM

Have you already ruled this unit out?

Full details [http://www.alpine-europe.com/2002/navi/dat...b/1din_navi.htm]here[/URL]

I know of a number of guys in the USA who have mounted LCD displays in the sunvisors - very tasty!

Tif
Old 04-01-2003, 02:22 PM

I looked into this last summer when my S arrived, but didn't reach a decision.
With the help of a local installer, we rigged a pop out Alpine model in the Head Unit slot. It was not possible to fit in a position where it would eject and miss the gear stick, or stop at a suitable angle to see properly.
We then rigged a (working) separate 6.5" display in front of the HU cover. I drove like this for a couple of days. However, I found it too dangerous to drive the car and look down at the screen. With the responsiveness of the steering, the slightest lapse of concentration on the road and one is in the brown-stuff.
Our final test was to fit the installer's own sun-visor LCDs (from his Merc) into the S. This was the best, BUT it proved very disconcerting to drive at night time, since when down, the screen is directly in your eyes. The installer also told me he had twice been stopped by Plod and warned not to use the visor-LCDs whilst driving since they believed it constituted a hazzard.
If it weren't for the non-reversal process of cutting into the dash, this would be my preferred route. However, at the moment I'm about to wire a palmtop to the RoadAngel with TomTom.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:14 PM

with Derek.

I was recently in a car with the SmartNav system and all I can say is that if I was in the market for a nav system I would only consider the SmartNav option (bearing in mind if it covers EU !!)

As Derek said it costs
Old 04-02-2003, 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

My next port of call will be to look into the smartnav which so far I have been told is UK only but will keep my fingers crossed.

astage: thanks for your post. I think you know exactly what I meant and it was helpful to see that you had tried putting in a system and replacing the HU. Now that I know that this is not possible I have to move to option 2 or option 3 as described by Tif.

Tif: Do you have any working knowledge on this product. I am going to find out as much as I can also but if you know the tech bits then it would be interesting to hear your views on the product in comparison to others. Thanks for the link.

Option 2 is to mount screen on a temporary basis on top of the dash and maybe fixed to the windscreen from the inside. I am not keep on putting the screen on the visor. The visor is too low for me and when I use it I normally can not see the top half of the windscreen and as has been mentioned, it is not safe.

Option 3 is to go the Tif route. I like the look of it and need to investigate a bit more.

Finally option 4 is possible and cut into dash. I have contacted Honda who will get me the trim to insert into the dash in red colour for
Old 04-02-2003, 06:24 AM

BIg Ted has one of these Alpine INA-N033R headunits in his S2000 I belive so it may be worth asking him how he finds it. IIRC he did the install himself so can offer some tips etc.

If I were starting over on ICE for the S it would be at the top of my list (but I love Alpine headunits anyway )
Old 04-02-2003, 06:51 AM

Now I've done the sales bit here comes the negative side to the SmartNav...

My home does not have coverage for whichever mobile phone network it uses. Only Vodaphone works in Edenbridge.

The trafficmaster system is great if all you do is use motorways and/or major roads. So bear in mind that the detour it has just given you may be up a road that it has no cameras for and could be sending you straight into a long tailback only to avoid the one in front of you.

As the system relies on a GPS, again you are limited by the reception of satellites and I have on occasion been driving down a straight road with no turnings and been told "you are no longer on the route, please turn round and rejoin the route". Generally 50 yds down the road it will tell you that "you are back on the route" but I have gone past a turning and had to faff about for a few minutes to get on track.

Still, I would highly recommend this system. I do 2500 miles a month and use it to and from work and I have found some really interesting alternatives to get there, and every one of them quicker than the queue I would have found myself in, generally between the A127 and the M11!

Derek.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:48 PM

I've got the INA-N033R and it works flawlessly. It took a couple of days to bed down and finding the correct speed pulse wire was a bit tricky, but after these teething problems it is very accurate. Has all the features of a full sized unit and I don't need to worry about any increase in theft risk as I just shut the radio flap like normal. Very good, sharp OLED screen and very good POI functions. I posted some pictures of the unit in my dash a while back on a different thread about ICE.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:50 PM

Derek: thanks for the true picture of the SatNav. I have decided that this is not for me mainly because I don't use the motorways only and I don't use it for business either. My main reasons for commuting are either to go vtecing in the country or to see some friends plus I do like driving in Europe without maps, since my other half is useless at it. Therefore this system is out of the question because of what you describe and secondly because no Europe coverage. But thanks.

BigTed: Cheers buddy. Much appreciated your comments on the subject. Question: Is the map readable and does it not get too dangerous to look at when driving? Secondly, where did you locate the speed sensor to work with the unit? Finally, how do you compare your unit against a full blown LCD system? Oh there is one more: are you really able to navigate all the voice commands the systems gives you without having to resort to the display, even on complicated roundabout etc?

Quick Reply: Sat Nav Help Needed