UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sat Nav bezel

Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat Nav bezel

I have looked up all the info on here regarding the fitting of one and it seems RHD cars have the retaining clips built in behind the dash to accommodate the bezel. My problem is without taking the dash out which I am not prepared to do how do I find the exact spot to cut into the dash. As you can see below the bezel has male attachments that fit into the existing female one's behind the dash and if I am a few mill out it will not push in and fit correctly, which will be a nightmare scenario and a new dash could be needed. Any tips from anyone that has done this as all the info on here shows you how to do it but surely a template or something is needed 1st?

Looks great in this pic of one fitted but bit of a nightmare if the hole is cut in the wrong position.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are not going to take the dash out you need to cut a smaller pilot hole so that you can locate where the bezel clips in and then cut a larger hole in the correct position.

There are no templates available AFAIK.

Chris.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 AM

Chris thanks that makes sense but was wondering if anyone on here has done this. It seems most of the info is on LHD American cars where it is not as critical as they do not have the retaining clips built in behind the dash.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 AM

Just make a hole above the left side of the deck (would be the middle of the sat nav) to peek through and see where the clips are.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are one or two people on the UK board who have JDM cars with the OEM sat nav. Maybe you could ask one of them for measurements. I can't remember who they are but remember someone asking about getting the JDM nav working in the UK--if you do a search you might be able to find something.

Chris.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done it. Below are some pictures. I am afraid there is no template for this. I bought a spare dash and gave it to the guy who was prepared to do the dash cut and practice over there before cut my dash. I am afraid if you don't buy the japanese dash which accomodates the clips for the dash bezel the only way is to cut it and glue it. You have to start with a small hole and go step by step until the bezel fits properly in the dash. I am prepared to give you any measurements you like from my own. I do not see the difference in measurements even if it is from a LHD car like mine. You will just follow them from the opposite direction. I did not fit the OEM nav unit cause it has a small screen. I fitted an 8inch touch screen which is connected to a car-pc. I choosed to fit a car-pc cause i have a turbo S2000 and i connected the AEM software to monitor all the sensors of my car cause they are a lot and i do not like to put a a bunge of gauges. Apart from that i can play music, have a sat navigation and do a lot of things with the pc. Let me know if i can be at any help to you

Chris

Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 AM

S2000 Again thanks but my car is RHD JDM so I am assuming it will have the attachments already in behind the dash and that is my problem cutting it to fit these fittings which entails cutting the dash blind so to speak. If it was a case of just cutting the dash to fit/glue the bezel I would not have too much of a problem.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 AM

I might be able to get my hands on a JDM s2k with sat nav and make you a template. I was looking at one at our monthly meet. Are you in much of a hurry as it might take me a few weeks.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barefoot,Mar 27 2010, 04:06 AM
S2000 Again thanks but my car is RHD JDM so I am assuming it will have the attachments already in behind the dash and that is my problem cutting it to fit these fittings which entails cutting the dash blind so to speak. If it was a case of just cutting the dash to fit/glue the bezel I would not have too much of a problem.
I doubt your dash has the attachments behind the dash even if it is a JDM car but i might be wrong. I do not see the reason why Japanese had fitted the attachments behind the dash if you car does not have already the OEM sat-nav. Best way to find this out is to find a JDM in a scrap yard
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 AM

S2000 You might be right there I will cut a hole to find out if it is there then a template would help still not that easy to cut a precise hole as a bit of guess work would be involved and there is not a lot of room for error. I will let you know leftfoot many thanks.

Kev

Quick Reply: Sat Nav bezel