UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Which one should I get?!!!
Tomtom Go 700
80.00%
Garmin Street Pilot c330
10.00%
Navman iCN 510 Premium
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Sat Nav

Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tom Tom does seem very popular but have the people recommending it tried anything else?

Got my Navman iCN650 last month and used it on our Euro trip to France, Switzerland and Italy. I've not used any other navigation systems so can't give you a direct comparison.

Unlike some other units it does not have a battery, so needs external power at all times. For me this is not an issue. I wired in an additional cig lighter socket in the passenger footwell that is continuously powered. There is no bluetooth facility, again not an issue for me. All the maps are preloaded so there is no messing about with CD's. The window mounting kit is excellent in the S, and it stuck fast over some pretty rough roads.
The screen is very good. I had it set to full brightness whilst on holiday and had no real problems with the roof down. I The different map display options are also very good. I think the issue about hearing the directions over the engine noise is pretty irrelevant. When you don't really know where you are going, or are waiting for a turn, you are not screwing the car anyway. At 80 on the motorway with roof down HKS and CAI, I could hear the sound fine, with the volume set about 50%.
I programmed all of our hotels in to the unit before we set off and the unit found them without a problem.
There is a trip facility were you can get from A to B via points C, D, E etc. But you cannot select the points from the map screen, they must be typed in on the on-screen keyboard. Also some places are not recognised when you type them in, but when you look on the map screen they are there. Strange? The unit also tried to take me on some bridleways during the route. I just ignored the turn and the Navman quickly remapped another route. I found the remove control unit very useful. Kathryn could program the unit and bring up different screens as I was driving, without having to reach forward and press the button on the front panel.

I paid
Old 08-05-2005, 03:45 AM

I haven't tried any of the others myself but read lots of independant reviews where the Tom Tom seemed to beat other units that were a hell of alot more expensive.

I think for the money you cant go wrong, particulalry if you are talking
Old 08-05-2005, 03:54 AM

Dave.......thanks for the write up........very useful!. As you say, TomTom popular and gets good write ups but do not seem to be able to find any critical comparisions of the various units. All I've seen recently are retailer promos that plug all units equally!.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:05 AM
DrC

This site is good for reviews and other GPS info
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/
Old 08-05-2005, 04:32 AM

I've been thinking about getting a Road Angel Navigator. It combines Sat Nav with a Scamera detector, for
Old 08-05-2005, 05:16 AM

Jason..........seen the ads.........looks interesting!. Got a Snooper so no need for GPS camera detection plus not sure how good RA will be at Sat Nav but def worth watching!.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by steve_the_greek,Aug 4 2005, 01:20 AM
originally had navman receiver + software for my pda. rubbish sat reception, eventually died anyway. replaced with tomtom. superb. version 5 is a great improvement too - does the 700 have v5 software?
Did you replace with a Tom Tom standalone unit or a Tom Tom Software&BT Receiver combo for your PDA?