UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sat nav

Old 01-22-2005, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat nav

looking to get an all in one sat nav system it must be easy to install wih no trailing wires and have good european mapping system
I,m currently looking at Tom Tom Go , navman , and garvin systems all about
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 AM

I have the Tom TOm Go and am really pleased.

Positives

small,
light,
easy to use and understand
easy to move from car to car,
long battery life
Pirce
and a great screen

Negatives:

You can't tell it that you want to go non motorway or only use motorways. Similarly you can't say that you want to go the shorest route /longest route.

Hope that helps. I got mine from Dabs.com inc VAT at the time they were the cheapest.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 AM

My friend just brought the Navman, he seems very pleased with it. My dad has the Garmin StreetPilot 2650 which I have borrowed on many occasions and it's always done me proud. It is a little chunkier than the Navman though!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:36 AM

TT3 for PDA's now lets you plan your route using drivebys, which means you can avoid motorways or not - it does seem quite fussy though. If you select a town as a drive by you have to drive right through it ie using a ring road or small bypass is not allowed The bl@@dy women then spends the next half hour telling you to turn around until I get fed up with her and switch it off altogether.

Don't know if you can do drive-bys on TTG?

PDA also gives you the option of using OS map and marine charts to navigate if you are that way inclined, so is a bit more versatile if you are into hillwalking or sailing.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:47 AM

I looked into full fledged systems with a screen and have concluded that it is just too much hassle to install it with no guarntee of the finished results. I intend to install the 1Din unit from Alpine which is a dvd based system and does everything the screen satnav do. It also has a small screen on it's face and the rest is done with voice navigation. Europe is covered and in the uk you only have to enter the postcode of where you want to go, places of interest, non motorway etc.

the model you might like is the Alpine INA-N333R
Old 01-22-2005, 03:50 AM

Rahul, are the units you're talking about the ones that slide out from the ICE location and pop-up vertically?
Old 01-22-2005, 03:57 AM

Alpine INA-N333R

Old 01-22-2005, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by robs_silver_s2k,Jan 22 2005, 11:01 AM
I have the Tom TOm Go and am really pleased.

Positives

small,
light,
easy to use and understand
easy to move from car to car,
long battery life
Pirce
and a great screen

Negatives:

You can't tell it that you want to go non motorway or only use motorways. Similarly you can't say that you want to go the shorest route /longest route.

Hope that helps. I got mine from Dabs.com inc VAT at the time they were the cheapest.
Another positive is are the downloads. I have recently downloaded all speed camera in england. 250 metres away it lets me know ones coming up
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 AM

Yep indeed you can and loads of other interest things like every BP petrol station and all the Tesco's in the country. The other thing a like about the TTG is that if you are stuck in trafic you can tell it so and then guess how long the jam is and then it will re-route you. I have used this with great success a few times
Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the Shell Optimax database as well

Quick Reply: Sat nav