UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Saris Bones Solo Bike Carrier

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM
J_B

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Saris Bones Solo Bike Carrier

I first posted this in S2000 Talk. I hope it's okay to post it here too as I know some people might not look at that area of the forum. I checked the rules and didn't see anything.

I've been wondering for a while whether this rack would work with the S2000. Everyone seems to be using the Saris Bones 2 and struggling to fit it. Looking at the Solo fitted on some other cars, it seemed it would work on the S2K. So I decided to just buy the thing and give it a go.

It worked better than I ever expected. I was anticipating serious fiddling to get it to work.

No vehicle contact.

"Anti Sway" strap wrapped around seat tube and left crank, to stop bike sway and the cranks from spinning.

Foam blocks on forks and resting on bumper. On Saris' US website it says that vehicle contact is possible, so I bought the foam blocks as they recommend. Strangely Saris' EU site does not list the S2000.

I haven't tried it driving yet, but it does seem quite stable. I will carry the wheels in the passenger seat. The final thing to do, is to secure the handle bars to the frame in the position you see above with a velcro strap or bungie chord.

So there you go, I thought I'd share that with everyone as I haven't seen anyone try this carrier before.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend runs a solo Bones on a Smart Roadster. Works well if you don't have a sensible car.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't look like it will work with a spoiler though

I tried my 'ebay special' last weekend, as I'm getting fatter not being able to visit the FOD at every opportunity!

It works, but is a bit wobbly!

Cheers,

Stu
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 PM

My Saris Bones 3 seems to work perfectly well, even with OEM spoiler

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 AM

I have a saris bones 2 which i used on my mr2 because of the large spoiler and it worked great but now i have a s2k i dont like the way the saris bones 2 sits on the bumper and pushes it down distorting it as the top of the rear bumper is very flimsy so i like the way the solo sits on the car!! may try this one. do they recommend to remove the wheels as i have always just left them on?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM

I really didn't like the boot mounted racks, so went a bit industrial on this problem

Replaced rear crash bar with a Gladman Performance hitch mount, now I can use a tow bar mounted carrier.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM

A couple of tasty MTB's.

How does the boot lid stand up to the weight & pressure of the bike & carrier ?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Slightly OT, but for the love of god, don't go blazing down the M4 at Mach 12 with a bike on the back...whilst racing a BMW, which I witnessed an Audi do a few years ago.

I just about managed to dodge all the CF, not because it was a hard task in itself, but because the hilarity had me in stitches :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 AM

I have the Saris Bones 2 rack, fits fine! The rear shock on my Transition makes it a little tricky finding a suitable bike rack though.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM
J_B

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aliendoughnut
do they recommend to remove the wheels as i have always just left them on?
There's no instructions for fitting to the car, but since I'll only be using it when alone I can afford to use the passenger seat to transport the wheels. The main reason was just to minimise the weight acting on the boot lid, reduce the size of the bike, reduce the drag a bit, and it would be difficult to stop the front wheel hitting the car too.

Originally Posted by curren1963
How does the boot lid stand up to the weight & pressure of the bike & carrier ?
I don't have the answer to that one yet as I haven't taken the bike anywhere! My bike weighs 13.7kg with wheels, so about 12 kg without wheels. The Solo is extremely lightweight, so it should be fine.

Quick Reply: Saris Bones Solo Bike Carrier