UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Saris Bones 3

Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saris Bones 3

Hi All,

I've got a Saris Bones 3 bike rack. I've only used it once before and it seemed fine. However, after a long journey in the Saturday heat at the weekend and with two bikes on board I had severe warping of the back bumper where the feet rest. Luckily it's popped back up and doesn't really show anynmore but it looked bad at the time. Any tips from anyone who uses the same? I was thinking of fabricating some sort of stiff padded bar to rest on the bumper between it and the feet to try and dissipate the weight a little.

Also, one of the clips came loose on the journey (probably due to the compression of the bumber) and must have been knocking against the rear of the boot for a while as there are a bunch of tiny chips in the lacquer. Is there any way to sort these out easily - would a coarse polish improve it or make it worse?

I'll think twice before fitting the rack next time...

Thanks

Tim
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM

try to get something that bolts into the rear towing hook point and takes the weight off the bumper.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I've got a Saris Bones 2 rack and had exactly the same problem. Lightweight plastic on the bumper, I presume. I'm not sure the towing eye bolt would help, as it's off-centre and therefore would take some torque if it took the weight of the bikes/rack. I have been meaning to try putting the feet on the vertical back of the boot to see if the straps will hold it there, but we'll see. I also thought a strip of something stiff under the feet (with something soft on the back) might help but I'm yet to fashion anything up.

Let me know how you get on!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM

I use a Saris Sentinel 2 for my TT bike. Had same problem as you with the the bumper getting pushed down. Also had to re-set my rear number plate holder too as it pushed the bottom retainer screw out!

You can get round it by shortening the top straps and setting the bars on the longest setting. That way the bottom bar rests on the Honda badge on the metal part of the boot (not on the bumper). Also taped up the hooks on the lower straps with some medical stretch tape (get in tescos or some place) - prevents any scratching even when hooks do come out.
HTH
Ga
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 AM

So you put the bottom on the vertical part of the boot and the top straps didn't have a problem with the weight of the bike?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Yep, that's it. I've had no problem with bike weight, but my bike is only 8kg, and I only carry one at a time. Might be a bit different matter with a mountain bike/more than one bike

From what I can see though, the top straps take the brunt of the load and the bottom bar braces itself against the vertical part of the boot. The whole setup is very solid, at least for one bike anyway.

I'll take a pic of my setup if it helps? Racing on Saturday so I'll stick something up over the weekend.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Yeh, my beasty DH MTB might be a bit more of a test!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by gazbert,Jul 29 2008, 05:27 PM
You can get round it by shortening the top straps and setting the bars on the longest setting. That way the bottom bar rests on the Honda badge on the metal part of the boot (not on the bumper). Also taped up the hooks on the lower straps with some medical stretch tape (get in tescos or some place) - prevents any scratching even when hooks do come out.
HTH
Ga
If you do this can you still get the bikes hanging off the back of the car, so to speak?

I've been meaning to get myself a rack and was thinking of doing this but wondered if the bike would end up sitting on top of the rack. I don't think they're designed for this and its probably not the safest for transport.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM

The bike hangs fine off the back. I was a bit dubious at first using one of these racks. I had a WRX before and chucked everything in the boot so you can imagine how I felt hanging my pride and joy off the back of the S2000! I've done numerous 100mile + round trips and had no problems though. I keep it around 60mph and pull over to check all is well after the first 30 miles or so - paranoia! I'll stick a pic up later this week. We're probably boring the non-bike geeks senseless... lol
Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM

I imagine a rack like the sentinel might also distribute the weight a bit better if you were to put it on the bumper. Would think the contact points are larger? Don't think I'd ever be brave enough to put more than one bike on the back though. If there are 2 of us... They can drive

Quick Reply: Saris Bones 3